• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP!:Windows XP crash

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dan-fish

Registered
On my old pc i start up the computer and after windows has loaded it just crashes. There's no error or nothing, its just like the power cuts. I've tried using my xp disc and running chkdsk and repairing but it doesnt seem to work.
Specs:
AMD Athlon 3200+
1.5GB DDR RAM
350W PSU
ATI X1300

As you can see it's pretty old. Any help would be appreciated.

:welcome:

Have you run memtest? That would say if it's the HDD or the RAM if either are the problem.
You could also try a bootable disk into linux to see if that'll work.

Does it always shut down at the exact time or does it sometime get a little further some times than others?

I would also consider a heat problem if it runs for a while when left off overnight and then when you try to reboot, it shuts down a lot sooner. It might be time to open up the case and go wild with the canned air.

Definitely sounds like memory problems. Try running memtest, but sometimes that doesn't find the problem. You can also swap out one stick at a time or swap memory banks.

Try starting it in safe mode, start the computer and keep pressing [F8] key as it is booting, you will get to a menu that lets you choose which mode to start windows in, start it in Safe Mode, that can help narrow things down if you have a driver problem or something. You can also try reseating your RAM.

you know that he got run over after that picture was taken right wathnix

He didn't...? VERY off topic and I wont' say anything past this but I'm pretty sure the troops got out of their tank and actually shook the mans hand.
Even if he did get run over I still salute him, took real courage to do what he did.

Back