• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

water cooled rads

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

green-eyed-bandit

Registered
im new to water cooling, im trying to find a good set up and im looking at the feser monsta rad . anybody familiar with this one or have any advice on what to go with. ty

Its a nice rad. Very huge. Very expensive. What are you planning to cool? Few setups need that rad.

I saw you at Toms. How much did you did into the sticky at the top of the forum at Toms?

Wrong forum to post this, a Mod will probably move it.

Last edited by a moderator:
re

planing to cool evga x58 sli le north bridge , south bridge , and mos.also cpu and ram and 2 x gtx 275.... i did read all of the new to w. c on toms....gonna need a water block for my head trying to decide what to go with ....ty 4 ur help

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, might want to understand about heatload. Every part you want to watercool makes heat, expressed in watts. A radiator removes the heat. The resultant water temp over the ambient air temp is called the Delta T. A poor DT is bad for temps, a very low DT is kinda a waste of money.
Knowing what your heatload is and what combination of rads and fans you need is something you can learn about.

And you might need to consider TWO loops. Meaning seperate rads/pumps/ liquid. You have a lot going on in all of that in one loop, and it might impact the flow rate, which if too low gives poor results.

Please head over to the watercooling forum and read the sticky at the top of our forum, an well as digging into the Toms one.

Gonna take some homework on your part to understand all of this.

cpu =i7 930 or mayby wait for the new 6 core i7...gpu =2 evga gtx 275 896 mb ddr3....ram unsure still looking but 6 slots so atleast 12 g.....mobo = evga x58 sli le.....psu = kingwin lz 1000....id rather over do it than under do it. the feser monsta i can get for 250. at micro center , not so much 4 my budget [ 1 peice at a time ] just need solid advice....plz feel free to tell me if im a jack azz...and where im going wrong....as far as the case i have 2 at the moment ...alienware preditor 2 , and a full tower nzxt [not sure bout model #] but i can get a new case

Last edited:
Seek around and check other thread they are a few **new wc guys that asked question** in the watercooling section. read them.
read Guide (watercooler for beginner)
http://www.skinneelabs.com/ this site is full of info (test on many rads / pumps / cpu block )
Watercooling RAM and SB NB is not NECESSARY it will just add restriction to the loop.
There and there.
U might look into a dual loop as conum said.
Heatload . I7 @ 4 ghz will need at least a triple rad.
Cooling ur 2 evga 275 will need at least a triple rad / quad to keep them cool
Now What is ur Computer case.
What are u looking for.
-quiet/performant pc
-Highest O.C
-Noise is a problems or not.
Will help us to give u advice on rad / fan to buy.
Read stickie and other guide!
Take your time. dont rush thing.

Seek around and check other thread they are a few **new wc guys that asked question** in the watercooling section. read them.
read Guide (watercooler for beginner)
http://www.skinneelabs.com/ this site is full of info (test on many rads / pumps / cpu block )
Watercooling RAM and SB NB is not NECESSARY it will just add restriction to the loop.
There and there.
U might look into a dual loop as conum said.
Heatload . I7 @ 4 ghz will need at least a triple rad.
Cooling ur 2 evga 275 will need at least a triple rad / quad to keep them cool
Now What is ur Computer case.
What are u looking for.
-quiet/performant pc
-Highest O.C
-Noise is a problems or not.
Will help us to give u advice on rad / fan to buy.
Read stickie and other guide!
Take your time. dont rush thing.

He gave some good advice. The best thing is take your time and learn. Once you have $500 at your door and you will have at least that hopefully you'll done enough research and bought the right stuff, know what to do with it, know how to leak test and do maintenance on the loop.

It's really up to you. We deal with these questions all the time. Luckily for you it's what we like to do. But sometimes it gets tiring answering the same question for the 70'th time this year. When a bit of effort and paitence for the OP, (meaning you) would make all of our efforts more fun.
We ain't payed to do this, and a Best Buy salesman is, but they are clueless when it comes to watercooling.

So, please slow down. Can you spend a week or two reading a lot, asking a question to clarify misunderstandings now and then. Took me three months as I eased myself into watercooling. I was curious, my PC was running fine with high end air cooling. I just hung out and had fun and learned. It was a fully non-stress time and my watercooling has been perfect ever since.

Ever seen my rig?
http://www.overclockers.com/annual-water-cooling-cleaning-rebuild-journal/
I do have a clue and have been known to just give up helping someone. I'm not good with a spoon in my hand and not feeding myself. I have given you at least an hour of my time so far. You don't want to worry about my consulting hourly costs. It's my free time now.

Last edited:
Wow man, I read your rebuild cleaning thread and your setup is amazing! Love the detail in your write up. I have a couple of questions: What are KillCoil and PT Nuke-PHN? I plan to follow your recommendation and use only distilled water and these two items, can I get these from a hardware store or maybe online somewhere?

After reading your article and seeing the pics I understand what you meant by "pumps and tops" meaning the reservoir and the pump are essentialy one unit, looks good and makes sense! Did you fabricate your open air case yourself? Do you recommend using only the metal clamps?
I'll start taking pics of my build and post some as I progress, i'm really enjoying the research and I think the end result will be very satisfying!

Back