• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

question about cpu voltage, how high is to high?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sage0030

whats the highest you have got to on cpu voltage?

I have a 920 i7 clocked at 40000 I think the cpu voltage is close to 1.3 how high will it start to damge it and abuot how long will the cpu last at higher cpu voltages anyone know? my load temps are around 60c as well . so im not worried about the temps,

Last edited:
heat will be the big killer of the system.. if your heat is sitting at like 60c under load at 4GHz, that is very safe..

I've seen systems at 1.35+ and thresholding at around 80c running 24/7 stable, but I wouldnt do it!

1.3 is good.. if you're running a D0 though you might be able to crank that back a tad..

heat will kill the core quicker than volts will.. most likely you will be shaving 1-2 years off the lifespan, but you will probably upgrade before it dies

heat will be the big killer of the system.. if your heat is sitting at like 60c under load at 4GHz, that is very safe..

I've seen systems at 1.35+ and thresholding at around 80c running 24/7 stable, but I wouldnt do it!

1.3 is good.. if you're running a D0 though you might be able to crank that back a tad..

heat will kill the core quicker than volts will.. most likely you will be shaving 1-2 years off the lifespan, but you will probably upgrade before it dies

lol so im like sitting on a time bomb then so at around 1.267 somthing like that I think its higher im trying to get it stable at 4 right now, I have around 2-3 years or how many would you said I had?

I'm at 1.34v at 4.0GHz 24/7, temps are 43 C at idle / 82 C at 100% load. You have to figure that you are only using your CPU at load how many hours out of the day? And out of those hours you are using the CPU, how many of them are at 100% CPU load? MY cpu rarely gets above mid 50's for normal use. When I'm gaming it get's in the 60's-70's at 30% load. You can also use Speedstep and other power saving features to throttle down the CPU and voltages.

I'm at 1.34v at 4.0GHz 24/7, temps are 43 C at idle / 82 C at 100% load. You have to figure that you are only using your CPU at load how many hours out of the day? And out of those hours you are using the CPU, how many of them are at 100% CPU load? MY cpu rarely gets above mid 50's for normal use. When I'm gaming it get's in the 60's-70's at 30% load. You can also use Speedstep and other power saving features to throttle down the CPU and voltages.

Word!

or you can turnoff hyperthreading if you dont need it and save yourself about 6-8*..imo if you arent folding or heavily multitasking.. hyperthreading is not necessary and saves you some power/heat!

Back