• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

HELP! 2.6 to 0.8 without me doing anything!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TheQuadFather

my athlon x4 620 clocks have dropped from 2611mHz to 803mHz, the multipiler has also dropped from x13 to x4 and the voltages have dropped from 1.4v to 1.125v < this was a completly standard cpu (no overcloking) i have made many attempts to change it back but no luck :confused::bang head Help! thanks

Start wprime or another heavy load, it should pop back up to 2.6ghz.
What you're seeing is called C1E and Cool'n'Quiet, it drops cpu clocks and voltages to save power when you don't need to the full CPU speed.

While the test was running, was the cpu at 2.6?

If you go into bios you'll find C1E and Cool'n'Quiet as options somewhere, set them to disabled and you'll have 2.6ghz all the time, whether you need it or not.

it's a power saving feature, the clocks down the cpu when it's not being used heavily.

yeah it was at 2.6 during the test, thanks bobnove and terran2k the cpu was under heavy load almost %80 constanly when it decided to go into cool n' quiet...

how hot is it?
sounds more like thermal throttling

when it gets hot it kicks it down so it doesent fry it self, before tunning it off i could check your temps, mabe see if somethings up. Bios update might be needed if something not reading correctly and its thinkin its a crazy high temp

that does sound quite likely, i was folding and multitasking at the same time, my fault for having such a busy life and trying to fold at the same time :) made my cpu get too hot

I'm with Bobnova - it's probably CoolNQuiet and/or C1E kicking it down when not under full load. Windows also has something to do with it IIRC but I'm still running XP Pro on my rigs so don't ask me for details ... ;)

Back