• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can I duct tape a hard drive to my case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kchris

Registered
To start, all my 3.5" bays are filled up. I want to put in two more hard drives(dedicated for my games in raid 0). Can I just duct tape them to an open area on the inside of my computer(maybe even the side window)?

Last edited:
Yes you can. Even the freaking side window.

I'd just set them in the larger bays, or on the floor of the case. Keep them flat too. You could throw in a drive cage from an old case and secure it somehow.

Sweet, Thanks man! Yeah I got some space on the bottom that would be perfect.

I can think of 2 ways:

1. Use rails and mount in 5.25 bays

2. The modded way
Take an old case and cut it up...
use the old drive bays and secure them inside your case.
in your case to the bottom...pun intended :)

Actually I do have some old cases lying around at my pop's place. Maybe I'll stop in and do a little salvaging project.

A little useless add-on:

Mythbusters (Episode: "Duct Tape hour") made an entire sailboat out of duct tape so yeah sticking HDDs with that stuff should be fine.

I have specific testing knowledge on this subject!
I had a hdd taped to the top of my PSU for years :D

They don't care at all, just make sure it's somewhere that won't allow the drive to fall should the tape fail. Falling hard drives = dead hard drives.

Back