• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intels new stock heat sink...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Wow...could the site load any slower.........Not seeing it, Im wondering if its for Gulftown (6 core).

interesting setup, using copper heatpipes and a side-blowing fan, they are slowly getting away from the old style.

Nice! And they did away with the clips too! I'm wondering tho if that stock cooler comes with the backplate since it's using screws instead of the clips.

Nice! And they did away with the clips too! I'm wondering tho if that stock cooler comes with the backplate since it's using screws instead of the clips.

Maybe they could imitate some of the S939 AMD boards where a backplate was built-in.

Thanks ! Looks like that is a vast improvement over previous stock HS.

Curious what is that rod in the middle ? An extra big heat pipe apart from those copper one ? Unlikely right ?

10030816279a57b4329754393c.jpg

Last edited:
!!! Even if it performed well, I don't think I could have that ugly thing in my rig! >.<

:cool:

It is pretty damn ugly. Could it be any more square? The screwdriver-through-the-fins-to-mount thing is also weird and fugly.

I bet it's a server thing, intel has had OEM server heatsinks with heatpipes and such before.

whats up with that little switch on the top of it? Fan speed?
Looks leagues better than what they used to include in the box though. A good step forward. Now if only they could do something about their prices.

I imagine the switch on top is for led lights on the fan. I know the cooler that came with my QX9650 had switchable led lights on it. I'm guessing this will be the hsf that comes with the Gulftown EE models.

The problem I see is the fact that they are pushing the thermal envelope more and more...and thermal limits are soon to be reached which means that air cooling cannot progress any further. They should put the R+D into bringing down temperatures, not increasing cooling. It will top out eventually. THen what happens? Do we all get Corsair H50's from the factory?

Back