• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

O_O These Linux folks apparently stooped to about Microsoft levels!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
doesn't the GNU prohibit forcing people to pay for anything running the Linux Kernel?

Nope, free software is about freedom, not price. You can sell Linux for anything you want to sell it for. However, the person who receives it can also copy it and give it to his/her friends, modify it, put it up for download, etc.

Stallman made a living by getting paid to add features to emacs, although he never restricted its sale.

The free software movement says nothing about selling software, it is all about removing the oppressive restrictions on proprietary software.

I also donate to free software, but I refuse to buy it (e.g. I have real problems with Cedega).

That's to funny.

So basically they can sell it, but they can't force people to not do whatever they want with the code?

That's to funny.

So basically they can sell it, but they can't force people to not do whatever they want with the code?

Yes you can sell free software. You can charge the cost of the CD or whatever you want. The only thing is that you have to provide the source code on request if they want it (under the GPL).

Last edited:
I also donate to free software, but I refuse to buy it (e.g. I have real problems with Cedega).

Last time I looked, I found one article where Cedega claims to have contributed back to Wine, with a grand total of 12 patches over a period of 3 years. I use Crossover now :p

That's to funny.

That's the whole point of free as in libre.

Analogy:

U.S. "Bill of Rights" constitutional amendments. You have rights, and you're allowed to do whatever within those rights, as long as you don't infringe upon others' rights.

GPL says you can do whatever you want with the code, as long as you don't prevent anybody else from doing whatever they want with the code.

U.S. "Bill of Rights" constitutional amendments. You have rights, and you're allowed to do whatever within those rights, as long as you don't infringe upon others' rights.

GPL says you can do whatever you want with the code, as long as you don't prevent anybody else from doing whatever they want with the code.

:thup: Well put.

Back