• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best gaming performance

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pnico

hi,
I posted about this yesterday and got some mixed feedback, which is ok.
Im looking to get top notch graphics performance for my eyefinity setup.

Im want to stick with ATI as I have had good luck with their hardware for years now.

Running a single 5970...but want to be able to crank up each and every detail to the max..and one 5970 seems to choke in certain games with aa up to high..

is it smarter to wait and get a 5990 or get 2 5970's?
would the difference be that big considering the added memory?

for ultimate gaming performance on a core i7 950..which direction would you guys go?

a few of you mentioned 2 5970's being that the 5990 is just a supped up 5970..

money isnt an object but at the same time I want to get the best performance I can..
thanks

Creating multiple threads on the same subject is not going to get you any better answers. I would BUMP your old thread.

well if you want immediate increase in performance right now then get another 5970. if you are more patient than I would recommend waiting for the northern islands 5xxx series refresh or the release of fermi. not only will prices drop a lot but the northern islands refresh will have greater overclocking potential and more performance

just read about that..seems they arent changing the architecture, just refreshing the current arch by shrinking it and adding features..

it boils down to the fact that whether its a 5990 or dual 5970, either way, I dont think I can go wrong with either..

the shrinking and feature adding will do a LOT. by having a smaller process you will be able to overclock much higher and temps will be lower as well. I would get another 5970 if I were you. that extra card will help run eyefinity if you want it and allow for crazy high aa with no frame dips compared to 1 card

Thats what I want, higher fps with no lag..I figure with 2 5970's I should have a pretty powerful gpu setup..
maybe not as fast as dual 5990, but pretty close I guess..

I am also running eyefinity, but noticed that some games that extra bit of detail kills the cards perf..way to much lag..

I think you're going to create more problems than you solve by going w/ a quad-gpu (2x 5970/5990) setup. Heat, driver issues, etc.

And if you do decide to go quad-GPU I'd go w/ the 4GB cards since money seems to be of no object to you. The extra RAM will be more fitting for the amount of raw power in that config. The 2GB cards only have 1GB per GPU, and I can see you running over that at that rez w/ all that AA. Remember that each GPU has it's own memory bank and that is really all the RAM you have available. The 2GB card only has 1GB per GPU, and the 4GB card has 2GB per GPU. For 1 card you will most likely run out of power before you use up all the 1GB of RAM per GPU, but with 2 cards you double the power, but still have the same amount of RAM, so it's easier to use up w/ higher settings; thus 2GB per GPU may be needed.

Also make sure you don't get a card that has 6 display port outputs if you don't have display port monitors...or active converters.

second 5970 sounds about right and the eyefinity edition cards with 6 mini DP ports have 2 DP+ and 4 DP- ports meaning that 2 of the ports are able to be used with just a simple adapter and the other 4 need to be actual DP monitors or with active adapters

exactly what game are you running and at what configuration/resulution/aa etc

a single 5970 should handle it easy...

"money isnt a problem?" luky u i guess =/ i have a single 5770 and iam really happy with it :)

and remember not to get too obsessive in "all max max max" is not so good idea

His problem is with AA, that's not CPU dependent.

His problem is wanting more than 4xAA on a 7x00 resolution. The main question should be WHY. :fight: I'm not going to be one of those people that says anything above such and such AA at such and such resolution isn't necessary, but at 5760x and higher you do have to wonder. This seems to be more about bragging rights than perfect image quality.

His problem is wanting more than 4xAA on a 7x00 resolution. The main question should be WHY. :fight: I'm not going to be one of those people that says anything above such and such AA at such and such resolution isn't necessary, but at 5760x and higher you do have to wonder. This seems to be more about bragging rights than perfect image quality.
Some people have more money to spend and all i want to do is help him get his AA maxed out on some games that choke and I would love it if he came back told us if it fixed his AA so i can help the next guy.

I remember when crysis came out and stock E8400 would run that game smooth as silk however people still overcloked it to 4 gig's you could ask your self why it was not image quality, so he has the same thing going on he just wants it and it will probably make him feel better, like overcloking does for you and me.

pleas don't take my statements personal.:)

Last edited:
Honestly the system is newish in developement, i.e. eyefinity, and many games still have problems with crossfire/sli. How many driver releases do you see from ATI that have very specific situational notes like, "Game: Improved crossfire performance when using Anti-Aliasing on Crossfire configurations using eyefinity." His performance issues could be the result of driver and coding type problems just as much as not enough power. Quadfire could help, but it also has a chance of just causing more issues. Guess we will see..

Back