• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

got a spare 360 console

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Niku-Sama

what cool things can i do with it?

its got rrod but not constant but its WAY out of warranty (2006) so i was gonna pop it open and see what i can do with/to it

any one have any ideas?

no i cant portablize it, i dont have that sort of cash

linux?
what kind ok linux, full blown game able linux?
or OS only possibly fold/seti/firewall box?

i already have one for a collection, i dont need a seccond museum peice

what about different front ends for homebrew and the sort?

Last edited:
that big hole might be why you arent having problems with it.

any way i found a less intensive fix, no drilling in this one:
http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/263/85/

when i pulled the heatsinks off the surfaces were terrible, on both. so i lapped them down, they arent perfect but i am sure they'll make a good 50% more contact, they were pitted and rutted like they had been squisked through the heat sink equalivant of a play-doh factory

i had a thought though, when i was getting the fasteners i found some rubber bumper feet things, the kinda thing you'd put on the cabinet door or on the bottom of a lamp so it doesent skidd off as easily. any way i was thinking what about putting one under the mobo right under the processor?

i'm thinkin like the crappy x clamp but to a bit better force since it wont be applying force from tabs that stick to the hatsink it'll be a truly up and down force when the mobo is tightened down

Step 1 is to fix RROD. Its really easy, basically take it apart and remove the old crappy thermal gunk. Then apply new thermal gunk. To fix the RROD simply unplug the fan and power the bad boy up and wait for it to overheat (its good at that). If you want to hurry the process up use a heatgun. Then just let it cool down for a couple minutes then put it back together. Done!

Ive done this for 10+ xboxs so far and there has been only 1 that I couldn't fix. The graphics chip was too far gone and would artifact after just a couple minutes.

^This is a quick fix for no longer then a week or so(maybe 2 or even 3 weeks)..Ive seen major overuse of a heat gun on a 360 by a amateur and I lol'd so hard the guy thought I was crazy... the best fix for it is to properly reball the cpu and gpu BUT that is more $$...a lot more...then that crappy xclamp fix

Use it to hold your door open.

Then next time you go to the bathroom, use it to wipe!

Then take it to GameStop and trade it in for $20.

^This is a quick fix for no longer then a week or so(maybe 2 or even 3 weeks)..Ive seen major overuse of a heat gun on a 360 by a amateur and I lol'd so hard the guy thought I was crazy... the best fix for it is to properly reball the cpu and gpu BUT that is more $$...a lot more...then that crappy xclamp fix

Nope. Its worked on the 360 I have and I've been using for 6 months now. In fact I've fixed ~10 so far without hangup.

I don't have an infrared rework station so thats not going to happen. Luckily the MSEE I have puts me out of the 'amateur' category.

I did an X-Clamp fix on a 360 and it worked at my place. Tried to sell it and by the time it reached the buyer it was back at it. Havn't looked at it since but if the cover was removed im sure it would work perfectly fine. That GPU puts out some enormous amount of heat for that little heatsink.

I did an X-Clamp fix on a 360 and it worked at my place. Tried to sell it and by the time it reached the buyer it was back at it. Havn't looked at it since but if the cover was removed im sure it would work perfectly fine. That GPU puts out some enormous amount of heat for that little heatsink.

Running the 360 without a case is proven to be worse for heat solutions than running it with a case, because it creates a terrible airflow, you would think it would be the other way around.

Nope. Its worked on the 360 I have and I've been using for 6 months now. In fact I've fixed ~10 so far without hangup.

I don't have an infrared rework station so thats not going to happen. Luckily the MSEE I have puts me out of the 'amateur' category.

If your doing hardcore gaming I mean like the box is on for long periods of time then even I've seen the famous xclamp fix fail...
It seems the heatgun quick fix works for some but only if you are doing casual gaming...not 8 hour straight gaming sessions or so.

P.S.
The jasper and falcon consoles I have have none of that nonsense since I replaced that junk gunk thermal paste that M$ uses with MX-2 the first day I brought those consoles home. Both are fine and dandy since then.

Back