• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

best sound system for pc gaming/blue ray movies

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

pnico

hi,

looking to get the best sound card..
running an asus p6t deluxe version 2 board with onboard 8 channel audio..
also have a sound blaster x-fi extreme card..

I was looking to upgrade my sound and upgrade from my $30 altec lancing speakers..

is the pci express sb x-fi the best sound any good?
considering I want 5.1..how well would that pci express sound card work with a inspitre 7.1 analog sound card?

I figure the sound card would give me the 5.1 and or 7.1 so I wouldnt need an amplified speaker system..

my friend suggested to stick with my current sound card, the x-fi extreme and get that bose companion 5 system..

which comb would give me the best, surround sound effects..for gaming and movies?

I did hear the bose companion 5 speakers and they do sound like surround even though they arent..

If you already have a sound card its not worth a marginal upgrade to a different one. And even if you don't have a sound card I still think its better to just spend the extra money on better speakers. On board sound is actually pretty good.

IMO, anything Bose is overpriced and doesn't really perform that well. My pc sound setup is a 7.1 channel receiver hooked up via optical cable to my motherboard audio w/some bookshelf speakers. Sounds better than any pc system I've heard. If you want to stick with "pc speaker" systems I'd recommend you go listen to the Klipsch pro-media or the Logitech z5500, both good performers for the money.

Ditto...save I have an x-fi hooked up to a 9.1 channel receiver and it sounds fabulous. Quite frankly though the onboard sound with digital output sounds fine as well. The best sounding of all for music & blu-ray movies comes from the HDMI ports of a Visiontek HD 4850 output to the receiver. No sound card will be included in my next build, just more vid cards. :)

...IMO, anything Bose is overpriced and doesn't really perform that well...

THANK YOU! every bose product i've heard sounds pretty good, but for the price paid, absolutely no way I'd ever buy bose products at retail price.

If your current sound has a digital output with DD Live or DTS interactive capabilities, you'll be set on that aspect. I'm on the bandwagon (and have been for years) of using a home theatre receiver with the best set of speakers on it you can get (afford). even a couple decent bookshelf speakers with a moderate sub. the beauty of the receiver route is that you can always upgrade in the future. and aside from the risk of blowing them, you can use pretty much any mix and match of speakers you can get ahold of, and play with which sound best for fronts, surrounds, surround back, center... and when you get a couple better speakers, you can juggle them around to take the worst ones out of the sytem.

I'll be the first to admit that my home system is pretty ghetto, but it sounds better than any of the friends' houses that i've watched movies at.

my current system consists of:
Pioneer VSX-515k receiver
2x Infinity 6x9s in cheap carpeted boxes
RCA center channel and surround speakers
an older (early 90s) onkyo receiver used as sub amp
2x Rockford Fosgate 10" punch he2 subs in old pioneer cabinets, tuned around 30hz with these drivers

and a PS3 as the media source, connected to 32" LCD via HDMI, digital coax from TV to pioneer receiver. media streams via 100BT ethernet from PC running PS3 media server. can pass DTS from MKV files.

It might not look the best, but has excellent frequency response and will rattle your chest, where the cheap HTIB setups just sound like they're farting on the extremely low extensions. I tune mt EQ by ear to keep a flat frequency response using a sine sweep, hate it when people have setups with horribly disproportional bass to highs.

the Logitech z5500, both good performers for the money.

Id stay away from z5500. Im goin on my 4th package, I bought them back in '06, thank goodness for warranties. All the problems revolve around their control pod. My first one was overheating as the first warranty replacement had a vent on the back, my original set had no ventilation on the control pod. My second set both front & rear right channels quit working. My third set, when hooked up via optical would shut itself off, & when it was on, it wouldnt allow me to choose a digital mode.

Here is a post from the Logitech forums acknowledging the problem & their refusal to fix the issue on this model. They are looking into this issue to make sure future models dont suffer the same fate.

http://forums.logitech.com/t5/5-1-Speaker-Systems/Z-5500-turns-off/td-p/145674

They do sound great when working correctly, however Ive had nothing but problems since I firs purchased it. Their warranty is decent, Ive got a complete package replacement every time Ive had a problem. The only problem is now, is that they are not correcting their optical issue, so yet another replacement isnt going to do me any good, as the problem is still there.

Last edited:
I'm glad other people are supporting the home theater receiver + bookshelf speaker route. I'm actually using these speakers, they're an amazing value if you're handy with tools (out of stock now, but other DIY kits are available):
http://www.madisound.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=8525

I spent ~$100 building a pair and they hold up against $300+/pair speakers.

The finished speakers:
Monitor.jpg

My $50 DIY sub:
Comp-Sub.jpg

I picked up an Insignia receiver on sale for $150 at BB. For $300 total it really sounds amazing. That might sound like a lot, but with a setup like this you can build in stages and you get a lot of flexibility you don't get with prepackaged systems.

As does parts express. :) Built some floor standing transmission line speakers with parts from PE...absolutely sensational sounding.

Onboard's ok but X-Fi and EAX 5.0 on the Creative cards are just unbeatable. I could never go back to onboard.

admittedly games do sound really sexy on the x-fi...but I only notice with headphones on and I don't game much.

I got a question how do the Bose systems even work since they are usb? will they work with a sound card? I know you guys dont like them but I'm just asking as I could pick up a set real cheep from some kid in school.

I also thin the X-Fi is the way to go & Id have a hard time going back to on board sound too.

Auzentech cards are top of the list IMHO. Same goes for Z5500. Have it about 5 months, use it bout 3 to 4 hrs p/day and thus far no problems at all. It sounds immersive whether watching Saving Provate Ryan or blowing stuff in Call or Duty.

Back