• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

any hope for 766mhz celeron on trigem (cognac) board

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

curt02

Registered
can this computer be speed up or do i have to bury it . i hear you cant overclock celerons intel. i hope i have some options i have two ram slots 256mbs ram and when i download music off morphues it is slow as mollasas were can i go with this dinosor.

curt02 said:
can this computer be speed up or do i have to bury it . i hear you cant overclock celerons intel. i hope i have some options i have two ram slots 256mbs ram and when i download music off morphues it is slow as mollasas were can i go with this dinosor.

Hey! You found the motehrboard maker. Excellent!

Actually Celerons are excellent overclockers. The problem with yours may be that its multiplier is pretty well topped out. According to the database (found here) the average overclocked speed for that processor is 1042. Not too shabby, eh? :)

There are several different things you'd need to research to be able to do well with it. Cooling is #1. You don't mention what HSF (heatsink & fan) you have. That's a biggie. Case cooling too. Also, your motherboard may be a limiting factor. I've not looked at the Trigem specs yet, so I can't tell you anything there. You might want to check with the guys in the Intel Motherboards forum for more information or help there.

As far as your morpheus downloads, are you on cable/DSL or dialup? Overclocking your processor won't help downloads. That's a different issue altogether.

Good luck and keep us posted.

First off, welcome to the forums. Yes, you can overclock Celerons...just not be upping the multiplier. You have to do it through the FSB, which is pretty much mobo dependant. Check your mobo for jumpers that will indicate FSB settings, and also your BIOS...I am unfamiliar w/ that board in particular...2 RAM slots is not the best indication that the board is o/c'able, it tends to point the other way. As far as you downloading slow, that would have nothing to do with processor speed, and everything to do with your internet connection speed. If you are on a dial-up line, there are a few things you can do to speed up the connection, but for the most part, you could have a 5Gb CPU and still only hit 4K/s on a download...

hey thanks i have a dial up 56k and aol servie i use to get on morphues i have a phenoix bio its difficult to find multipler for 766 what is good to set mulitper at for the766 and how do you do it i done it this morning but cant rem how i did it it was hard i set it to 10.5 it was at 2x its call the frenquecy multipeir doe this make sense i hope i can make this thing faster it has fan on cpu and on back of case

the mother board is cognac and the bus is at 66mhz how do i change this the mulitiper is called a frequency mulipeir in the phoenix bios i dont like phoenix does this help thanks curtis

Multipliers on all Intel CPUs (modern ones anyway) are locked, so changing it won't have any effect.

To overclock an intel, you have to adjust the FSB (front side bus) speed. Your CPU is at 66 by default. If your board has bus speed options, you'll want to change that. If you're really lucky, you can change in in increments of 1 (67, 68, etc). If not, maybe you can change it to 75, 83, and then to 100 or more.

Check in your BIOS and try to find the FSB adjustments if they're there. Try raising it to the next one available (unless it's 100). Then save and exit. If you can do that, you're overclocked! :)

Before making any changes you should find the Clear CMOS jumper on your motherboard. If something screws up and the computer won't boot after changing the bus speed, unplug the power cord and clear your CMOS. That will restore everything in the BIOS to defaults and then you'll be able to reboot.

There are some good reads in our Beginner's Guides here that go over the important stuff like that. They are worth the time reading because they'll save you many headaches.

hey were in the bios would the fsb be at i have a pheonix bios it is difficult i seen a setting for fequency multiper it was at 2x could that be the front side bus i hope . but i cant rember how to find it
what should i set it at if 1x=33mhz it was at 2x=66mhz do i have to change the jumpers on the cognac board to make it 100mhx man this is tough but i worth it..i hope you can help thanks

hey thanks to everyone on the advice i am almost there i hope i have a manual the board is trigem cognac micro atx sounds like i need to change the fsb jumpers this pheonix bios is something i have ver 4.0 rel 6.0 its new but not changable i cant go down to the cpu setting i dont see the fsb settings where are they at pheonix man never again i hope someone can help all comments appreciated thanks curtis

your 56K dial-up AOL service is causing slow downloads with Morpheus

If 1=33 and 2=66 then 3=100 FSB

Just make sure your RAM is PC100 or better

Back