• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Itunes vs Zune or why Apple is retarded...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Adragontattoo

Trailer Chasing Senior
So I decided I wanted a new MP3 player while I am down here in NC for work. I have a zune but I couldnt find it before I left on travel (Im in the middle of going through everything I own and getting it all into must have, must sell, must donate, must trash piles) that I love but I wanted to get something that will work with my cars stock radio (built in Ipod support).

I picked up a brand new 64gb Ipod Touch. After playing with Itunes for the last few hours, I can honestly say that Apple has STILL not improved the program and it is still possibly one of the buggiest slowest pieces of garbage on earth. I dont see the grand appeal of the touch either. If the Ipad (now with wings but still no flash) is the same, I have zero interest in it besides as an e-reader

My issues:
Itunes:
Add podcast, hunt to tell it to download ALL the episodes and not just the last one.
Zune
Add podcast, right click, select option and done. I can also tell ZUNE to download ALL the episodes by default.

Music:
Zune:
Smart DJ doesnt have to upload your playlist, it will automagically work. Yes it sometimes adds in the occasional song which has zero to do with the band but overall it does an extremely good job of picking related music.

Mp3s automagically sorted by album, album art downloaded and applied and zero complaints.

adding music, right click, sync to MP3 player.

15 bucks, I can download as much music as I want, for free (Metallica not included) and keep it for as long as I keep paying for the zune pass. Oh and I get 10 free songs per month that I can keep forever DRM free.

Itunes:
4 hours later, Genius is still NOT working. The MP3 collection on my laptop is only 40 gb excluding Podcasts. It doesnt take me 4 hours to copy it to a portable.

MP3s sorted by well, uhh what is Itunes sorting by default? Ok, album art, uhh there is album art so where is it.

adding music, right click, nothing there, uhh ahh here we go, drag to mp3 player, after I enable it in Itunes settings. Wait I cant sync to my Ipod that is plugged in, until I TELL Itunes to allow me to sync..

nothing similar to zune pass found quickly.

The main issue I have with the zune is that it is impossible to sync with anything that isnt released by MS. The zune program has gotten much better over the years but I still want to be able to use Winamp, or Foobar or similar in Linux. Zune and ZUNE HD also do not come with Bluetooth.

Seriously Apple, is it really so hard to kibitz a bit from linux/BSD(you know that OS that you have parts of already?) and a bit from MS (come on Fanboys, get off the OMFGWUT horse, everyone steals from each other and calls it theirs first) and make ITunes into something other then a resource wasting, space occupying dung heap of a program...

/goes back to repackaging the touch to return it.

Last edited:
...yet another happy apple fan. I've fiddled with itunes numerous times over the years and find it to be slow & counter-intuitive.

Couldn't agree more. Brutal program and not intuitive at all. If a program takes that much thought and effort to work properly, I just drop it and find something else.

I have stayed away from ipods just because of itunes. :D I do like my older zune 120 though. I got it when the 120 was first released and it has decent fidelity and battery life and the screen is big enough for me to rip a movie to mp4 and actually watch it in my bunk on the rig before going to sleep. You gotta remember that out here on the rig offshore there isn't too much selection on what's on tv and as sure as shooting, as soon as you get interested in something some a-hole will come along and change the channel.

Mudd I originally wanted a second Zune 80 or 120. Alas they have been DCed...

The only other option is either an Archos 5 (must ensure it has Android first though) OR a Zune HD. Problem is that the Zune HD is too small and the Archos 5 is damn expensive.

I may return it and pawnshop hunt for a Zune 80.

Back