• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob HTPC build?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Nevakonaza

Hey guys,

Ive been wanting to set up a sort of HTPC for some time,Now you may laugh at this but im currently using my Laptop and a Freeview USB stick to watch TV :D

I dont have a TV unfurtunatly,But i do have a very nice "19" Widescreen LCD monitor lying around which i could use instead of a TV...."19" Widescren is perfect for me.

What i was thinking of is building a HTPC sort of machine from spare parts i have lying around.

I have the following parts which im sure could make a decent HTPC?..

Core 2 Duo E6300 (1.86Ghz) processor + stock cooler
2Gb of 800mhz ddr2 ram
Msi p35 neo-f motherboard
Micro ATX/ATX Case + 460W Gigabyte Superb Power supply.

All iwould ned to get is a Low profile graphics card....something like a 8400GS 256Mb be enough?

also...what software + hardware and Operating system will i need to view channels on it?

I live in the UK if this makes any diffrence?

tks

If it were me I would go with an ATI HD3000 series card. They can be had for around $30US. I know you are across the pond, but I am sure there is a distributer over there.

The entry level ATI 5X series can be had for around $50USD. Whatever that is in UK...like $7 pounds :)

I would go with win7 home premium for os. You can watch streaming movies from sites like ovguide.com, icefilms.info and veehd.com. You could prob get away with 8400gs 512mb gpu for bout $30 to $40usd.
Good card, had one is orev cpu. gr8 for movies or dvds.
hope this helps.

Back