• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Faster AMD CPU for ASUS M2A-VM HDMI

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

huonglant

Registered
I had AMD Phenom triplecore 2.4G installed but I wonder if anyone knows of any faster AMD CPU for my board. I'm not looking for any heavy OC right now, just want a stable, compatible CPU.

Thanks.

Jarlmaster47, Can you be specific?
I check Asus website and the highest Quadcore is Phenom X4 9850. Any chip that I can go higher w/out OC?

Well, you could move to a quad-core first-gen Phenom (like an X4 9850), but the clock speed increase is going to be very minor (the fastest Phenoms were only 2.6GHz, your board only lists support for 2.5GHz models) and the extra core is going to have negligible effect on a lion's share of applications.

Given the few options you have, I'd stick with the X3 8750 you apparently have right now. If the Phenom II or Athlon II models were compatible with your board, I'd say jump on one - but it doesn't look like they are...

I had AMD Phenom triplecore 2.4G installed but I wonder if anyone knows of any faster AMD CPU for my board. I'm not looking for any heavy OC right now, just want a stable, compatible CPU.

Thanks.
I agree with theflyingrat. Unless you have applications that will use all four cores of a quad it's probably not worth it to get a 9850BE.

And please don't blame this on AMD. The chipset and socket should handle a Phenom II but something about the board architecture has a problem or ASUS simply doesn't want to bother writing an updated BIOS for it.

how about a quad core phenom II.
In Intel language you just told someone to buy an i5 for their 775 board.
That's as close a translation as I can get for this situation. Like any translation it's not 100% accurate ...

Last edited:
Back