• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win7 x64 very slow app starts

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

neuen

I did a fresh win7 64 bit install and has been working great. However recently whenever i try and start a program it opens insanely slow. It will show that it is loading and it queues up a bunch of applications and then after a while they will all start up at once. I have no idea what is causing this. Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

for the most part yes. windows programs such and explorer or control panel seem to work fine but starting up firefox or itunes takes forever.
*Edit* also i just realized i had not defraged it in quite sometime. and the other drive OS is on a 10kRMP raptor while the rest of the programs are on a 7200rpm drive, the 7200rpm drive was 48% fragmented which is obviously terrible, however it doesnt make sense that they would all come up at the same time after the lag though so i dont know if this defrag will completely fix my problem

Configure a new user account, and see if you get the same behavior when logged in as a different user. If you don't have the same problems, its an issue with your user profile.

From what you provided, I don't have an answer, but the results of the steps I described will give us some insight. Let us know.

Are you running A/V? Try disabling it long enough to see if applications behave differently without the on-access scanner running.

also indexing.. if you have it turned on it may be slowing down the system in general as well

Back