• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Wattage confusion.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

squone

I currently have the setup in my sig but am thinking of upgrading and OCing.

I have looked at a few online PSU calculators but they all give me different readings and I'm just confused. I want to OC to around 4ghz and I know I'll need new RAM.

I'm also most likely planning on getting a 5xxx card/s as well.

Can someone please clarify and recommend what I do with my PSU?
Is it good enough to keep or should I be looking at a new one?

Thanks in advance.

Two 5770s and one 5850 both draw ~200w, your CPU at absolute full burn might draw 250(i'd be very surprised if it got that high), leaving you an additional 180w for fans (at 4-7 watts each) and hard drives (at 6-12 watts each) and such.

IMO your psu is fine no need to upgrade at all. i ran my rig even though at 3.6ghz at the time i ran a PC&P 510DLX (pre-pcie). with a CF 4850 512mb's with 3 HD's and 6 fans with no problem. if i was buying PSU's over and could have actually waited a bit the SS X-650 would be my top choice. though if you really needed the power the SS X-750 is a great one as well. Both are the most efficient AC->DC power supplies you can buy period.

Thanks for your help. Means I've got an extra $400 to spend on RAM and a new gfx card :)

Back