• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PS3 hard drive bjorked?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

FudgeNuggets

Ok, here's the situation:

A few weeks ago I went to play MLB 09 and it wouldn't load the game. At some point after rebooting and it locking up and stuff I got a corrupted data on hard drive message. I ended up having to reformat the PS3 hard drive and after that it played fine.

I got MLB 10, it installed and played fine.

Last night I got Uncharted and it would not install just like MLB 09. I reformatted the damn thing again but did not have time to try installing seeing as how it takes over 3 hours to do. I suspect this will work.

If it works, I'm wondering if I should just install a new HDD. I've got a 160GB 2.5" sitting around doing nothing right now.

Think I'm on the right track here?

If its still under warranty, exchange it for a new one. If the problem is the HDD, then sure, why not, get a new HDD. Better than losing save data.

If its still under warranty, exchange it for a new one. If the problem is the HDD, then sure, why not, get a new HDD. Better than losing save data.

no Warranty, it's a 60GB with the Emotion Engine in it for PS2 stuff. If it turns out to NOT be the hard drive. I'm selling it on Craigslist or E-Bay and getting a slim.

no Warranty, it's a 60GB with the Emotion Engine in it for PS2 stuff. If it turns out to NOT be the hard drive. I'm selling it on Craigslist or E-Bay and getting a slim.

Hell... I'd buy it from you.

But I'm pretty sure it's the drive. You got that system almost at launch and I'm pretty sure Sony wasn't using top of the line drives.

Hell... mine came with some POS 40GB Hitachi that I replaced almost immediately with a 160GB WD.

So I wouldn't worry about that. The biggest problem with those older PS3s is the Bluray drive going out. As long as yours is still working, then all you'd ever have to do is throw in that 160GB drive you say isn't doing anything anyway.

The failure rate on the Cell is very VERY low. And the motherboard is fine if you can access the XMB.

Its not the game, I replaced the hard drive and it does the same thing. It sits at the damned spinning coin and never loads. On a side note, what the **** Sony? The screw that holds the hard drive cage was in so damned tight that it stripped like it was butter so I had to drill the ****ing thing out then I got to remove the screws from the hard drive cage and their so damned tight that I KNEW they were going to strip as well so I just stuck the 160gb hard drive in and shimmed it with some plastic casing I found.

The only other PS3 game I have, MLB 10 the Show works flawlessly as do all my BluRay movies. Really the BluRay drive doesnt have much mileage on in because most of the PS3s life Ive had it playing mpeg and AVI files.

GRRRRRRRRRRRR..

Aside from taking the game back, any other ideas? Ive cleaned it like crazy and it really isnt in bad shape (it was used).

I will take it back but honestly the scratches on the disc are so light that there is absolutely no way that it should be affected by them. I mean you have to hold it up to a light and tilt the disc to see them.

I will take it back but honestly the scratches on the disc are so light that there is absolutely no way that it should be affected by them. I mean you have to hold it up to a light and tilt the disc to see them.

You've gotta read what I wrote above again: That could simply mean there were DEEPER scratches that they buffed out. They didn't repair the data. They just filled the scratches with Goo and called it a day.

You've gotta read what I wrote above again: That could simply mean there were DEEPER scratches that they buffed out. They didn't repair the data. They just filled the scratches with Goo and called it a day.

I got it from Hollywood and if they give me any flack when I take it back, then Im going to tip my hat to the fine gentleman/lady and tell them good day.

Language is a bit harsh for a forum which tries to remain mostly g-rated - IMOG

Last edited by a moderator:

The laser has to shine through the refractions from the imperfections and hit the data its looking for... what may not look like much may be enough to mess things up. Suppose it also depends on the tolerances of the reading device. :/

The laser has to shine through the refractions from the imperfections and hit the data its looking for... what may not look like much may be enough to mess things up. Suppose it also depends on the tolerances of the reading device. :/

Yeah, I took it to a shop and they tried it on their PS3, same thing happened to them so they buffed it out and then it worked on their PS3. I took it home and it would not work on mine so I took it back to where I got it and after some arm twisting and threatening to call corporate they exchanged it for another game, Prince of Persia which worked fine on mine. Those guys were real jerks but I get satisfaction in knowing that theyre losing their job in a few weeks due to the store closing.

My only fear now is that my bluRay drive is weakening. It honestly hasnt been used that much and shouldnt be. Im seriously considering trading it in on a slim while it still works due to my previous experiences with Sony lasers. Overreaction?

Yeah, I took it to a shop and they tried it on their PS3, same thing happened to them so they buffed it out and then it worked on their PS3. I took it home and it would not work on mine so I took it back to where I got it and after some arm twisting and threatening to call corporate they exchanged it for another game, Prince of Persia which worked fine on mine. Those guys were real jerks but I get satisfaction in knowing that theyre losing their job in a few weeks due to the store closing.

My only fear now is that my bluRay drive is weakening. It honestly hasnt been used that much and shouldnt be. Im seriously considering trading it in on a slim while it still works due to my previous experiences with Sony lasers. Overreaction?

Definitely. I mean WHY do you think your bluray laser is failing? It's obviously working. And you know the problem was the game. (And I told you... TWICE that buffing doesn't actually FIX anything.)

Plus they aren't going to give you more than 150 bucks for your PS3 used. You'd be better off just giving it to me. :D

Hell... worse came to worse I could take the bluray drive out of MY ps3 and put it in yours.

I agree, clearly a bad disk. May have barely been readable for the other system, and slight differences in the internal hardware or calibration could make a difference when dealing with bad media.

Well I was considering the BD because after buffing at the store it worked for them but not on mine when I got home.

It worked for them that one time they tried it for you in the store. It might not have worked on THEIR systems the next time. That's what I keep saying: Buffing doesn't actually fix anything.

Like I have two copies of High Fidelity. One of them used to skip near the end. So I had it buffed out. Now it doesn't skip anymore... but it jumps right over the entire chapter and goes to the next one. That information is still lost for good... it just transitions smoother now. (Hence the OTHER copy of High Fidelity.)

Back