• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

LPI Cert... has anyone taken this?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stratus_ss

Overclockix Snake Charming Senior, Alt OS Content
I am looking to take the 101 and 102 in the next few weeks. I have read through LPI Study Guide Second Ed. by Rodrick Smith. And an old copy of the LPI Bible.

I have also dug up several websites with test questions.

Has anyone taken this?
If so did you also do the Linux+? How do they compare? I passed the L+ wondering if its in the same neighbourhood.

Are there any resources anyone can recommend?

well not to bad overall. I studied for about a week although I was using the LPI study guide.

The are really big on security (snort, portsentry etc) and commands like IPTABLES. You have to actually know what all of the switches.

Its really dumb from that standpoint, i mean you always can look at the man and the --help on the job

I learned some things from the studying.. overall it was a good exercise but the questions were often obscure

The LPI does not seem to be heavily loved by the industry at the moment, the company I work for is most certainly not to interested in it simply because it is not vendor specific.
I personally think you would be better off taking a RedHat certification which is very well regarded.

well not to bad overall. I studied for about a week although I was using the LPI study guide.

The are really big on security (snort, portsentry etc) and commands like IPTABLES. You have to actually know what all of the switches.

Its really dumb from that standpoint, i mean you always can look at the man and the --help on the job

I learned some things from the studying.. overall it was a good exercise but the questions were often obscure

you use centos at work right? some kind of movie company right? cant remember :( :fight:

I used to, I am about to start a new job as a Sr. Linux Admin

The new company I will be working for just wants certs to make their clients feel good.

I am currently compiling a list of questions to throw into a VB program I wrote 5 years ago or so.

If anyone would like to contribute please feel free. I also will make the program freely available with the test bank when its finished.

I do plan to eventually re-write it in java or something more cross-platform but for now recycling an old program is good enough

I am currently compiling a list of questions to throw into a VB program I wrote 5 years ago or so.

If anyone would like to contribute please feel free. I also will make the program freely available with the test bank when its finished.

I do plan to eventually re-write it in java or something more cross-platform but for now recycling an old program is good enough

linux+ questions?

There is a lot of overlap between the two. Honestly I studied the LPI material for the Linux+ stuff.

I am no expert but I am 90% sure that if you study the LPI material you can pass the Linux+. So in that sense, yes they are also Linux+ questions

Ya, never ever go by the practice tests. The one thing I have found is that they seem to be intentionally easy.

Often they are "representative topics". Although you may be further ahead in your skills compared to me.

Back