• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Built New Computer but it Won't Recognize the HD

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ShadowUrlich

Registered
I've put together several computers and, although it's been a year or two, I put together a computer for a friend. For some reason, no matter what I do, the setup just won't recognize the HD. Here are the important components...

ASUS M4A79XTD EVO AM3 AMD 790X ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3250318AS 250GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Everything else appears to read just fine, the ram, the processor, the mouse, etc. However, when I go into BIOS setup the Primary IDE is the CD/DVD rom, the Slave IDE is None, and it doesn't detect any drives on SATA's 1-6 (the HD is in SATA 1, although I tried SATA 2 as well, and also used a different power cord and SATA cable). I tried setting it on IDE and AHCI for the drives but no dice. The computer boots just fine, but obviously I can't put an OS on it since it doesn't recognize any drives. With the Windows CD in it begins the install, but there's no drive to select to put Windows on. Anyone have any clue what I'm doing wrong? I'm trying to figure out if it's something small I'm missing or if my friend just nabbed a bad HD.

Let me know when you can, thanks!

if you plug into any sata port, the bios must see the drive, only way it WILL NOT is if you do not have the power sata plug plugged into the drive or the drive IS DEAD. also make sure both sata controllers are enabled in the bios, the native one should be by default.

Back