• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OT: PC-less wifi baby monitor (not camera)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

tom.jelly

Registered
is there such a thing? I plan on getting a video capable baby monitor, which I'm told I can see on my iphone or pc, anywhere. What I'd like is a wifi, always on digital picture frame-like monitor to view in our bedroom rather than having a laptop in there or having to turn on the iphone to see. anyone know if there is such a thing?

tom

Lets review.

I tried to see if you could hook up a PC to a digital picture frame. No go

Digital picture frames use USB or SD card and they are media capable. You could most likely rig a Picture frame to play from a PC, but still not what your looking for.

A Wifi Would require drivers which a digital picture frame does not have, it is essentially just a play back medium (a monitor). A wifi would also require its own voltages. You would also have to be able to configure it.

I would think your best bet would be using say an iPad. It has what you need and can be stood up like a picture frame. One caveat, the price. Rediculously high for what you need.

So to answer your question. In the price range of even a High end Digital Picture frame, there is no such device that will do what you want it to do.

Work around: Video Camera to baby's room over PC. Then VNC to your iphone or G1/Nexus.

I'm wondering if an ipod touch in wifi mode work...just setting the screen to never turn off and powering it with its charger. I haven't decided which cam to get yet, but it will probably be a panasonic....

I don't see why not. There are some services that do stream video feeds over the internet to your phone. I think you would need a VNC viewer to just watch it over house wifi. I have the G1 and while VNC works, it not very usefull. The High Res Desktop and Color cause a lot of lag and the 500MHz processor and limited ram just isn't up to speed. The iphone is equivalent in terms of processing speed, but I don't know if there are any VNC apps. If I was you, I would go with a netbook. You could find one for around 150 dollars and it would do all you need and not be clunky like a laptop.

the panasonic cameras have a free streaming service. I'll ask them if it will work with a iphone & if it does do the ipod touch thing or a netbook...
thanks
t

I don't see why not. There are some services that do stream video feeds over the internet to your phone. I think you would need a VNC viewer to just watch it over house wifi.

You don't need to use VNC. If you go with a compatible pan-n-tilt IP cam, and the LiveCams app. This lets you view the camera on the iPhone/iPod as well as pan-n-tilt and preset pan-n-tilt locations (user created and named).

http://www.nextstepbabymonitors.com/video-baby-monitors/iphone-video-baby-monitor.htm

You can view on any browser (as long as it has ActiveX support). There is no audio however on LiveCams, as to keep the video frame rate and quality up.

You could set the iPhone/iPod to never turn off the screen (for use in home at night), or going with a traditional video baby monitor for use while in the home may be the way to go:
http://www.nextstepbabymonitors.com/video-baby-monitors/sum-tilt-digital-video-baby-monitor.htm

- Adam
http://www.nextstepbabymonitors.com

I think the said baby is now a toddler. ;)

On the subject, video monitoring is a waste of money. $200-$300????? All you need to do is be able to hear your baby crying. Any experienced parent knows this. :)

Back