• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Looking for windows 7 help

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Neuromancer

Personally I hate the OS. but it is the latest thing and you know because of the popularity I will be forced to use it.

So I installed it on my daily cruiser

Looking for advice on how to make it normal and functional

I already added extra passworded user accounts on my HTPC because that new workgroup thing is fail. So doing it old school style.. map networks drives with "user credentials" (dont get it.. still asks me three time to type in the passwords though even if I click.. remember password WTF?) I can deal with that.. I just changed the password to Password and it lets that happen :rock: Mojave kicks ***.

Anywho.. would like to make this a thread that documents all Windows 7 tweaks... I know Vistas "gets better with time" and maybe that is why I am having such trouble with my current 4.7GHz i7 setup... and now the 890GX AMD setup. It has not learned yet? But there is no disk thrash commonly associated with Vista "learning" (indexing supposedly...). So 7 does not learn?

1) I want quick launch back. Is it possible? Usual answer are "small icons" this does not give you Quick launch back. Please do not suggest that.

2) any tips on dumping the new homegroup (castle whatever it is called) BS without disabling sharing entirely? As the host

3) how to disable the windows auto maximizing thing. I learned how to do it once.. could Google it again, but want it here at OCF.

4) Performance tweaks. 7 is faster than Vista on old hardware, but not on new hardware. (not asking for an argument.. benchmarks prove it.. just asking for resolution/explanation to it...)

Anything else would be appreciated.

Reason I ask is I got a free 7 key and purchased two 7 keys for 1/4 the price of a vista key on ebay (checked both with MS one was a MSDN key boo... but got my money back) so worthwhile to upgrade from XP which totally sucks.. after using Vista...

1) Enable Quick Launch: Right click on an empty space on the taskbar > Toolbars > New Toolbar > %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> Select Folder

Right click on an empty space on the taskbar > UNCHECK: Lock the taskbar > Left click on the dotted lines on the left side and hold them, then drag it to the right PAST the Quick Launch toolbar and release to get the Toolbar on the left side.

Right click on the taskbar > UNCHECK: Show Text and show title then above it View > Large Icons

2) & 3) Don't know what you're talking about.

4) On my triple boot Windows 7 and Windows XP are significantly faster than Windows Vista so I refer you to answer for 2) & 3) :D

1) Enable Quick Launch: Right click on an empty space on the taskbar > Toolbars > New Toolbar > %userprofile%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Quick Launch
> Select Folder

Right click on an empty space on the taskbar > UNCHECK: Lock the taskbar > Left click on the dotted lines on the left side and hold them, then drag it to the right PAST the Quick Launch toolbar and release to get the Toolbar on the left side.

Right click on the taskbar > UNCHECK: Show Text and show title then above it View > Large Icons

2) & 3) Don't know what you're talking about.

4) On my triple boot Windows 7 and Windows XP are significantly faster than Windows Vista so I refer you to answer for 2) & 3) :D

1) thanks if it worked.. .do not get it unfortunately :(

2) Waht you dont know what home groups are?

3) Aero Snap (googled it to see the name) will post how to disable it in a minute

4) Performance wise? It is not an arguable subject. Look at the front page benches. If you still run nVidia then yes.. by all means run xp/7 that is just cuz nVidia could not come up with a reliable Vista driver...not because Vista sucked, but cuz nVidia sucked...I do know why Vista got trashed.. had nothing to do with the OS.. had all to do with nVidia suppling the large discrete graphics market, and having a huge BSOD issue as well.

Sorry been running vista since 2004 and it works just fine... very fast since RTM, unlike 7 which was fast until after RC

Last edited:
Back