• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

MSI P55-GD65 CPU Voltage won't do what it's told!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lavacon

I didn't know if anyone might have any thoughts to share on this isssue.

I am running an MSI P55-GD65. I'm happy with it for the most part, 4ghz stable, no problems to speak of except for ONE....

LLC was removed from the bios and I am left with Vdroop High/Low options.

I set the CPU voltage to 1.36 with all the typical power savings options and such turned off. In CPU Z It shows my idle voltage as 1.4 and 1.43 @ 100% Load. I am using vdroop low option to minimize discrepancy with voltage.

My temps hit 64c running small ffts in Pime 95 after a night of pain. Seems a bit on the high side to me and I think I could shave a few degrees off that if the voltage was doing what it was told. It's a .07 off!!! :bang head

Any thoughts?

I didn't know if anyone might have any thoughts to share on this isssue.

I am running an MSI P55-GD65. I'm happy with it for the most part, 4ghz stable, no problems to speak of except for ONE....

LLC was removed from the bios and I am left with Vdroop High/Low options.

I set the CPU voltage to 1.36 with all the typical power savings options and such turned off. In CPU Z It shows my idle voltage as 1.4 and 1.43 @ 100% Load. I am using vdroop low option to minimize discrepancy with voltage.

My temps hit 64c running small ffts in Pime 95 after a night of pain. Seems a bit on the high side to me and I think I could shave a few degrees off that if the voltage was doing what it was told. It's a .07 off!!! :bang head

Any thoughts?

llc is the same thing as low vdroop...

but yeah low vdroop automatically bumps up the voltages above what you set in the bios. for example mine is set at 1.28v and with low vdroop enabled its 1.301 (idle) 1.304(load). If disabled it will idle at 1.28 but will crash under load because of the low voltage.

btw 64 degrees isnt bad, what cooler are you using?

Bah.. On water... I have seen higher OC's with this chip on a dang Corsair H20 with lower temps/volts....

You have to turn off EIST in order to make it work correctly. I own the MSI GD-80 and noticed it to until I turned off EIST. My voltages were right on. You also need to change the Vdroop to low.

Take a look at my screen shot.

Attachments

• cpuid 3.8GHZ.png
    cpuid 3.8GHZ.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 1,171
Vdroop has been set to low along with EIST being off....

As stated before, enabling any sort of Vdroop control, will boost your Loaded voltages to counteract Vdroop. If you want the voltage closer to what you set in the BIOS... Disable it. Most likely you will need to raise your voltages in the BIOS to account for the inevitable Vdroop you would encounter under full load. It is a juggling act between what you want to SEE, and what you want the board to DO. Do you want higher initial voltages to try and counteract the Vdroop (not likely if you have the power saving features disabled), or do you want the board to counteract the Vdroop with Load Line Calibration... it's your choice :thup:

Thanks, I'll see what I can do to get it where I want it. The weekend is coming up and i can spend more time playing. :)

Back