• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Problems New Build MB Need to Go back?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

[Mudd]

alright i have a new build and its been a nightmare so far worst ever yet!! i not even going to go threw all the problems i had to just get it up and running boot problems and so on.... anyways its up and running now with windows 7 x64 installed.. the problems are

1) seems to be running hot!! at idle stock speeds cpu is 34-36c mb is 40c in bios and shows its around 35c in programs not sure which is right? on load cpu can run into high 60s and mb into the 50s?

2) cant even seems to use easytune level up clocking without crash? as many may know the gigabyte x58 boards come with easytune with quick boost and using default you have level 1 2 or 3, I cant get past 1 level 2 and 3 i just get bsod?

so do you think i have a bad mb or bad cpu? why am i running so hot with little to no oc? i have a great case and cpu cooler?

specs
i7 930 w/ xigmatek balder cooler
gigbyte ga-x58a-ud3r
6g of cosair xms3 1600
2 80g hdd sata2 7200rpm raid 0
9800 gtx+
x-fi gamer
blu ray burner
750w thermaltake toughpower xt
silverstone ft01 case

should i return mb or cpu or both? or none im dumb?

I have that mobo/cpu combo save that I'm on water and running 6x2GB ram. It's running perfectly at 4.3Ghz. Your temps are about right...unfortunately. It's a hot chip. I see 28c at idle and mid 60s under linpack, which heats everything more than anything else I've found. I did mod the board in that I removed the silly plates off the heatsinks and I applied TIM to them and ensured good contact as well. Check to ensure that your chipset block is getting hot to the touch and therefore making good contact. If it is then stick a fan on it and see if your OC goes better. Keep at it, it's a great combo IMO.

I have that mobo/cpu combo save that I'm on water and running 6x2GB ram. It's running perfectly at 4.3Ghz. Your temps are about right...unfortunately. It's a hot chip. I see 28c at idle and mid 60s under linpack, which heats everything more than anything else I've found. I did mod the board in that I removed the silly plates off the heatsinks and I applied TIM to them and ensured good contact as well. Check to ensure that your chipset block is getting hot to the touch and therefore making good contact. If it is then stick a fan on it and see if your OC goes better. Keep at it, it's a great combo IMO.

so you dont think anything is wrong? what about the mb temp idle at 40c is that normal for a x58 boards? also what about the bsod when using easytune level 2 and it wont even boot on level 3?

one thing to remember about the 930 is that it sometimes runs horrible on even number multipliers, which im betting the giga board is trying to use (x20 standard)

your temps arent bad really, but i'd reseat the HSF to be sure (push/pull config on fans?)

as for overclocking.. forget about the apps that come with the boards.. you can do better manually..

first go into the memory settings and change the ram timings to be very loose (9-9-9-24 2t) and then go into the voltage area and set your DIMM voltage to 1.65

change your core voltage to 1.35 and try using 171 clock with x19 multiplier... should give you a 3.2ish overclock off the bat..

did you run a memtest86+ on the mem before installing windows etcetc.. plus its always good practice to run prime95 or something similar on stock settings to make sure the system is even stable at stock settings

Actually stock multi for the 930 is 21, so just make sure turbo is DISABLED so it doesn't try going to x22. The rest of what psi said was accurate.

one thing to remember about the 930 is that it sometimes runs horrible on even number multipliers, which im betting the giga board is trying to use (x20 standard)

your temps arent bad really, but i'd reseat the HSF to be sure (push/pull config on fans?)

as for overclocking.. forget about the apps that come with the boards.. you can do better manually..

first go into the memory settings and change the ram timings to be very loose (9-9-9-24 2t) and then go into the voltage area and set your DIMM voltage to 1.65

change your core voltage to 1.35 and try using 171 clock with x19 multiplier... should give you a 3.2ish overclock off the bat..

did you run a memtest86+ on the mem before installing windows etcetc.. plus its always good practice to run prime95 or something similar on stock settings to make sure the system is even stable at stock settings

that is my exact ram settings.. but i do have turbo enabled also tho even if i dont use the easytune quickboost shouldnt the mb be able to handle it? and to confirm that 40c on mb is normal at idle? and here is my case fan setup

for stocker, which that is stock at 2.8 it may be a little high.. what heatsink are you using.. stock intel?

"i7 930 w/ xigmatek balder cooler"

...but he's referring to his MB temp sensor. I removed the plates on both chipset blocks, because I know from experience their removal drops temps sharply. Lemme see what mine are at this clock.

My MCH temp is at 56c idling in windows at 4305mhz according to speedfan. Is this the reading you're referencing as MB? What are you using to read it?

Last edited:
"i7 930 w/ xigmatek balder cooler"

...but he's referring to his MB temp sensor. I removed the plates on both chipset blocks, because I know from experience their removal drops temps sharply. Lemme see what mine are at this clock.

My MCH temp is at 56c idling in windows at 4305mhz according to speedfan. Is this the reading you're referencing as MB? What are you using to read it?

yes the mch in the bios shows its idle at 40c in speedfan and hwmonitor it shows 35c idle even in down clock mode or whatever when the cpu downclock at a idle at around 1.6ghz the mch is still running 40c or 35c not sure what right the bios or speedfan?

bottom line should i send this board back and exchange for another? or could something be wrong with the cpu to make the board run that hot? or is it all in my head?

35-40c is not hot. Relatively speaking of course. The cooling on the UD3R is bottom of the line for giga's x58a boards, but it's perfectly adequate with good airflow.

35-40c is not hot. Relatively speaking of course. The cooling on the UD3R is bottom of the line for giga's x58a boards, but it's perfectly adequate with good airflow.

ok cool thx for all the replies.. what im going to do is keep the board and cpu send back the xigmatek and get the cool master hyper n620 and some ac mx-3 paste, also do you think its a good idea to take of the mb heatsink and clean and apply some ac mx-3 there or is that a bad idea?

ok cool thx for all the replies.. what im going to do is keep the board and cpu send back the xigmatek and get the cool master hyper n620 and some ac mx-3 paste, also do you think its a good idea to take of the mb heatsink and clean and apply some ac mx-3 there or is that a bad idea?

bump

it couldnt hurt to remove the heatsinks as long as they are screw-down or pin types.. dont remove the ones done with tape as they can be a pain to re-do

mx-3 is too thick and difficult to work with and not nearly worth it's price premium over mx-2 imo. I like to ensure the heatsinks are making solid contact and did so with the ud3r. Additionally I added active cooling to the northbridge...it just seemed to be getting a bit too toasty with overclock settings. Nothing fancy just a little 40mm fan pulling air through the stock sink and expelling it toward the side panel 120mm.

Back