• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

adicted wow player praying for help!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sicario

Registered
ok guys, im new t this site, but i have been looking around this forum looking for food for my brain :p

IF U WANT TO HELP ME OUT AND SKIP ALL MY BLA BLA BLA SKIP THIS TO WHERE U SEE AGAIN CAP LETTERS! IF U WANNA MAKE FUN OF THIS NOOB JUST READ ALL!

i buy a new PC like 3 months ago to be able to play better World of Warcraft since i always play it with a laptop and was not able to run with faster than 7fps. i buy a:
HP pavilion intel core2 quad
pcu: q8600 @ 2.5ghz (not sure is the number its correct but something like that)
8gb ram
windows 7 64bit

well when i go home i was expecting breaking the game to just wake up im running the game at only 17fps (10fps more than with my old laptop) then someone told me i have to buy a video card... (yes, didnt know a video card was so important)
and get recomended the Ati radeon hd5850 so i buy it @ tigerdirect for $330 i buy the "XXX" edition from XfX

then i notice in the card specifications that i need a power supply from 450 to 650w to power it... quicly opened my pc to see what i have and my pc have a liteon PSU of only 300W so i quickly look here in the forum and decided to buy a TX850W from corsair.

also my guildies told me that my 2.5ghz from my PCU will not be enough so i was planing on spending $1k to get that new 6 cores intel7 the one in the black case but after reading here in the forum i discovered the magic of overclocking so will save that $1k for now and see what i can do with mine.

THE PROBLEM IS:::::::

today arrive (2 days delivery... super fast considering i live in Puerto Rico) my new PSU and my new video card.

corsair TX850w
Radeon HD5850 "XXX" edition
i quickly start by installing PSU (have hard time managing all that cables) and notice that all my MOBO ( yes, i learn all this terms with u guys) fans, PCU etc was covered with a lot of dust. so i take out all fans and with a moistured cloth (microfiber one) cleaned my chassis and CPU fans. then connected all and MY PC DONT START!!! not even start to boot! i was dang scared so i check i dont miss any conection but all was OK!
*i only was worried that my MOBO have a plug of 4 and the PSU comes with a 8slot that u can separate to make it 4 slot, but instructions dont say which one i need to use so i used the one with 2 yellow and 2 black cables so i was scared i conect the wrong one and burned my PCU or MOBO.
so i take back my old PSU to see if i dont damage my pc and my pc also dont do anything with my old psu so i think i damage something.

i go get a shower to and smoke a cigarrete getting ready to go to best buy and buy whatever computer so i will be able to play wow tonight till i ordered a new MOBO and PSU and when i go back to my room my PC was ON!!!
but have a window opened where said there was some error that my pc dont start and ask me to restore my pc to old date i press yes and then ask me to restart my PC and bualaaaa... my PC is back working like before... i even log in to wow and played the game and it dont crash or dont say any error... it fix alone

THE BIG THING IS:
ok i spend like $500 on a psu and a video card that i really cant wait to test.
but im afraid i do something wrong conecting my PSU

*also i know this is not going to this part of forum but... i hear that when i install my new video card i need to uninstall old ones... i have no video card on this computer... still need to uninstall something?

u guys have no idea how much i want to get this runing, cause my friends told me i will see a complete new game when i get running my video card so i will really apreciate any help u guys can give me. will start overclocking when i get my computer running well (dont wanna do so many things at same time to avoid getting problems and then dont have idea what caused them)

will be around the forum all night long to see if there is any reply... BTW sorry for my english... im still learning it but i hope u guys got the idea of what i mean... also sorry for soooo long post, i know how much people hate long posts and that they just skip them but i wanna be the most explicit possible of entire problem so i can get the best solutions...

thanks anticipated! here is a future noob overclocker ready to burn some PCU's :rock:

after watching my post i notice how anoying and prolly comfusing would be for pro's so i will resume!

1- the EPS12V of my computer its 4-pin my Corsair TX850W have a 4/8-pin conector that can be splited to 4-pin but instructions dont say which one i should use...

2- i buy a Radeon XFX HD5850 XXX edition, i read i need to uninstall previous video cards but my question is: if i dont have previous video cards... i still need to uninstall intell default one? and how i do that?

hope this is less anoying but in the thread starter topic i explained all my problem detailed so u will see if i have a compatibility problem or i do something wrong with installation that makes my computer dont turn on for like 20 mins.

rofl... was looking how will look my pc with all stuff mounted and just notice that my power supply and video card Fans will be face to face... that would be a problem?

after watching my post i notice how anoying and prolly comfusing would be for pro's so i will resume!

1- the EPS12V of my computer its 4-pin my Corsair TX850W have a 4/8-pin conector that can be splited to 4-pin but instructions dont say which one i should use...

2- i buy a Radeon XFX HD5850 XXX edition, i read i need to uninstall previous video cards but my question is: if i dont have previous video cards... i still need to uninstall intell default one? and how i do that?

hope this is less anoying but in the thread starter topic i explained all my problem detailed so u will see if i have a compatibility problem or i do something wrong with installation that makes my computer dont turn on for like 20 mins.

1. I doesn't matter, split the 8 pin plug and use either 4 pin. Some motherboards have an 8 pin plug to supply more stable power to high end/overclocked processors.

2. You should just be able to install the new video card, windows will detect it and install drivers to get you up and running. Then go to your control panel, system, and open the device manager. You should see your on board video under display adapters, right click on it and select uninstall. After that head to www.ati.com and download and install the latest drivers for your card.

Its possible you shorted something out by cleaning your system with a moist cloth, compressed air should do the trick next time.

I'm not sure your HP motherboard will have any overclocking options, but if it does I'd recommend you get a better cpu cooler than the stock one. Any of the new Intel processors won't work on your motherboard. Your cpu should be fine for running wow, but if you wanted to jump to a newer intel processor it would require you to get a new motherboard and DDR3 memory. Also, the new 6 core is way more than you would need for wow. For a good gaming setup I'd recommend you look at the i5 750 and which works with socket 1156 motherboards.

Good luck!

Last edited:
rofl... was looking how will look my pc with all stuff mounted and just notice that my power supply and video card Fans will be face to face... that would be a problem?

I don't think it will be a problem, the power supply and video card both pull air from inside the case and then exhaust it out the back of the case.

Unplug all the fans except the heatsink fan and try and boot. As long as you don't run it for to long it won't explode.
Can you take some pics of the inside of your case? Might help a bit.
Have you plugged in every cable? Should be 2 cables to the motherboard and 2 cables to the graphics card. That's all you need to get the computer to post.

Just to make sure, are you turning the computer on using the button on the motherboard? If not you might have the power plug things wrongly plugged in.

And :welcome:

ok here i goes... already installed the PSU... everything its ok now, i notice i dont have enough space for my video card so i moved my hard disk and cd burner from sata 0 and 1 to sata 2 and 3, now will prolly have enough space for my video card... will turn off my PC to try install now the card (hope it fits cause i didnt expect it was so big :bang head ) brb after installing and runing the video card... really thanks A-Dub... im almost sure u was right and the moist of my towel was the problem.

OK... installed my video card... uninstalled intell graphics media acelerator driver and installed new ati driver. get comfused on which driver to install since there was a ati driver and a catalyst driver... both was the same version 10.2 and both was the same date february something so i select the ati one... game improved a lot... from 12fps with all options to low.... now i got 60fps... turned all things up to top including resolution and shadows and my FPS drop to 30-35... but i think still good... thanks A-Dub for ur help... later will look in the forum to see if i can improve that 35fps with this trash of PSU

Try turning shadows down one notch, max shadows are pretty tough even on a high end card. Aside from shadows you are probably bottlenecked with your cpu at 2.5ghz, if your motherboard has any overclocking options then pick up a better cpu cooler.

i downed shadows half way... my results was an average of 66-60fps on 25 man ICC raid so was cleaver... a whole new game... but cant see the mobs when we AoE cause so many effects lol. going now to read more on the forum to see if xeno killer help with my latency... it droped to 300fps somehow and my internet conection its 6mbps cable modem so not bad... well will be around the forum reading and learning! thanks for the support. never do something myself so im thinking about i can be able to set up my own PC :p

I noticed you said you used a wet cloth to remove the dust the first time when your computer didn't start. Do not do this again. Keep all water as far away from your components as possible.

OK... installed my video card... uninstalled intell graphics media acelerator driver and installed new ati driver. get comfused on which driver to install since there was a ati driver and a catalyst driver... both was the same version 10.2 and both was the same date february something so i select the ati one... game improved a lot... from 12fps with all options to low.... now i got 60fps... turned all things up to top including resolution and shadows and my FPS drop to 30-35... but i think still good... thanks A-Dub for ur help... later will look in the forum to see if i can improve that 35fps with this trash of PSU

Trash of PSU? I thought you said you were using the TX 850W from Corsair. That's not trash. And its more than you need for just a single 5850 since you're not overclocking with that motherboard.

Trash of PSU? I thought you said you were using the TX 850W from Corsair. That's not trash. And its more than you need for just a single 5850 since you're not overclocking with that motherboard.

I think he meant CPU, since called it a PCU earlier. For English not being his native tongue he did pretty well I'd say.

Back