• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Trying to get most of Q9550

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tunttis

Hi all!
As you can see that this is my first post in this forum so be gentle for me, it's my first time :D I checked the Q9550 thread but last post is 4 months old so I thought that that thread is dead.

So here's the deal. I bought brand new Q9550 (E0 Revision) and upgraded my mobo from Asus P5Q Pro --> P5Q Pro Turbo (due P5Q Pro RMA).
I've read that these 45nm Yorkfields will OC good but this one individual seems not to. Before Q9550 I had E8500 which OC:ed gently over 4GHz with P5Q Pro.

Nevertheless I have only managed to get 3,7GHz out of my Q9550 (435FSB*8,5) and I have used vCore betweeen 1,25-1,35 which sounds like this chip is bad or settings in my mobo are wrong.
Heat is not the issue (Noctua NHD14) IntelBurnTest and OCCT Linpack max temps have been under 75.

Specs are here:
Q9550 (E0)
Asus P5Q PRO TURBO
Kingston DDR2 HyperX 1066MHz
(Radeon 4870).

5929041.png
5929050.png
5929047.png

And here is my bios settings:
Code:
Ai Tweaker
Ai Overclock Tuner [Manual]
CPU Ratio Setting [8.5]
FSB Frequency [435]
PCIE Frequency [100]
FSB Strap to North Bridge [Auto]
DRAM Frequency [DDR2-1045MHz]
DRAM Timing Control [Manual]
- CAS # Latency [5 DRAM Clocks]
- DRAM RAS # to CAS # Delay [5 DRAM Clocks]
- DRAM RAS # Precharge [5 DRAM Clocks]
- DRAM RAS # Activate to Precha [15 DRAM Clocks]
DRAM Static Read Control [Disabled]
DRAM Read Training [Disabled]
MEM. OC Charger [Enabled]
AI Clock Twister [Moderate]
AI Transaction Booster [Auto]

CPU Voltage [1.28125]
CPU GTL Reference [0.63x]
CPU PLL Voltage [1:52]
FSB Termination Voltage [1.34]
DRAM Voltage [2.3]
NB Voltage [1:34]
SB Voltage [1.20]
PCIE SATA Voltage [Auto]

Load-Line Calibration [Enabled]
CPU Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
PCIE Spread Spectrum [Disabled]
CPU Clock Skew [Delay 300PS]
NB Clock Skew [Delay 200PS]
CPU Margin Enhancement [Optimized]

I was wondering if someone with same kind of setup can help me with mobo settings. So is there anything left do or do I have to admit that 435 is max for chip. Amen? :confused:

I know I've got NB to 1.35 and PLL to 1.55. You should increase vcore as well..

Don't know what this is really, but I have 0PS. I can get 4.1GHz stable by the way, I just don't use it because it requires over 1.35 vcore.

I know I've got NB to 1.35 and PLL to 1.55. You should increase vcore as well..

Don't know what this is really, but I have 0PS. I can get 4.1GHz stable by the way, I just don't use it because it requires over 1.35 vcore.

Hi. Yeah I have tried to maximize the voltages. Tried NB 1.44 and PLL 1.7 (that's too much I know that) but it doesn't affect.
I had Vcore 1,36 (after Vdrop something like 1,32) but still Prime and OCCT freezes my comp after couple minutes.
Should I just try to push Vcore?

Have you done heavy memtesting? Try doing that first so you can call your memory stable. You have a lot of vdrop even though you enabled LLC. Maybe your vcore is too low. I've got 1.328v in CPU-Z. Try to get 1.34v in CPU-Z and see if it's stable.

Have you done heavy memtesting? Try doing that first so you can call your memory stable. You have a lot of vdrop even though you enabled LLC. Maybe your vcore is too low. I've got 1.328v in CPU-Z. Try to get 1.34v in CPU-Z and see if it's stable.

I really don't think that's memory issue.
Before I bought those HyperX DDR2 sticks I had A-Data GSeries which are specs 800MHz 5-5-5-15. Then I bought HyperX 1066 and same settings and not stable. I can try putting Vcore near to 1,4V and see what's gonna happen (I think heat is gonna be issue then).

I really don't think that's memory issue.
Before I bought those HyperX DDR2 sticks I had A-Data GSeries which are specs 800MHz 5-5-5-15. Then I bought HyperX 1066 and same settings and not stable. I can try putting Vcore near to 1,4V and see what's gonna happen (I think heat is gonna be issue then).

Me neither, but it's just to make sure. Plus, you need to do memtesting anyways to really consider your system stable. Also, what I find is many cases where people can't even run the spec speed of their RAM, whilst I can get 1020MHz stable (maybe even more, haven't tried) while my spec speed is 800MHz.. And that's without a voltage increase on the RAM. That's hardly possible..

Give these settings a try for 3.85GHz (454MHz x 8.5); you may be able to get by w/ less vNB depending on whether you have 2 x 2GB or 4 x 1GB sticks of RAM installed...

Code:
Configure System Performance Settings

Ai Overclock Tuner - Manual
CPU Ratio Setting - 8.5
FSB Frequency - 454
PCIE Frequency - 100
FSB Strap to Northbridge - 333
DRAM Frequency - DDR2 - 1068MHz
DRAM Timing Control - Manual

1st Information : 5-5-5-15-5-54-6-3
CAS# Latency -5
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay - 5
DRAM RAS# Precharge - 5
DRAM RAS# Activate to Precha - 15
RAS# to RAS# Delay - Auto
Row Refresh Cycle Time - Auto
Write Recovery Time - Auto
Read to Precharge Time - Auto

2nd Information : 7-3-5-4-5-4-6
Read to Write Delay (S/D) - Auto
Write to Read Delay (S) - Auto
Write to Read Delay (D) - Auto
Read to Read Delay (S) - Auto
Read to Read Delay (D) - Auto
Write to Write Delay (S) - Auto
Write to Write Delay (D) - Auto

3rd Information : 14-5-1-6-6
Write to Pre Delay - Auto
Read to Pre Delay - Auto
Pre to Pre Delay - Auto
All Pre to Act Delay - Auto
All Pre to Ref Delay - Auto

DRAM Static Read Control - Disabled
DRAM Read Training - Disabled
MEM. OC Charge - Disabled
Ai Clock Twister - Auto
Ai Transaction Booster - Auto

CPU Voltage - 1.33
CPU GTL Reference - Auto
CPU PLL Voltage - 1.6
FSB Termination Voltage - 1.4
DRAM Voltage - 2.20
NB Voltage - 1.6
SB Voltage - Auto
PCIE SATA Voltage - Auto

Load-Line Calibration - Auto
CPU Spread Spectrum - Auto
PCIE Spread Spectrum - Auto
CPU Clock Skew - Auto
NB Clock Skew - Auto
CPU Margin Enhancement - Optimized

CPU Settings

CPU Ratio Setting - 8.5
C1E Support - Disabled
Max CPUID Value Limit - Disabled
Intel Virtualization Tech - Disabled
CPU TM Function - Enabled
Execute Disable Bit - Disabled

Chipset Settings - Northbridge Settings

Memory Remap Feature - Enabled
Memory Hole - Disabled

One thing I find weird.
I increased almost all voltages and incresed FSB to 440.
I ran OCCT Linpack for 3,5hour and no errors.
But THEN I started Prime95 and let it run for 15minutes.

At the same time when I opened Firefox, prime gave me an error.
This sounds weird. Linpack can run for hours without error but Prime95 Blend mode gives error after 15minutes.

I'm gonna test memory with memtest86 (any better ideas) and see how's that going.

One thing I find weird.
I increased almost all voltages and incresed FSB to 440.
I ran OCCT Linpack for 3,5hour and no errors.
But THEN I started Prime95 and let it run for 15minutes.

At the same time when I opened Firefox, prime gave me an error.
This sounds weird. Linpack can run for hours without error but Prime95 Blend mode gives error after 15minutes.

I'm gonna test memory with memtest86 (any better ideas) and see how's that going.

See. It might just even be the memory. The blend test tests the whole system (mostly RAM) rather than the CPU. If you can survive Small FFT's at those same settings you'll KNOW it's your RAM.

Indeed. Test your RAM with Memtest86+.

is the NB hot and how hot? if you got a fan and one isnt on the NB put one near/on it. to see if that makes a difference in it being stable and/or freezing.

the next thing is what kind of freezing? is windows still on the screen when it does it or does it freeze for a min in windows then restart?

Ok more updates.
I ran memtest86+ +8hours and over 10 passes. Not a single error.
Then I tried increasing and decreasing vNB, no luck. I also tried settings that redduc900 posted earlies, no chance.

I'm really out of ideas? Mobo can't push any further FSB or is the processor just bad?

I think it's the NB acting up on you. Typical of C2Q OCs.

Lower your CPU multi to 6 and lower the RAM freq so it's running 1:1 for now. This way you can focus on the FSB speed only.

Raise the FSB until you start failing Blend w/n a short period of time; 5-10mins.

Then try all settings and see what helps and what hurts. P45 is very sensitive to voltage and temps. I had to re-do the TIM on my board to get the NB to act right as the HS wasn't mounted well from the factory and thus temps were abnormally high. I also had to dial in the voltage precisely. 1 step over what it wanted and it would throw a fit.

Put the clock skews back on auto unless you find they actually help. They did nothing for me.

Once the FSB is Blend stable at the speed you want (471?) you can go back and work on higher RAM speed and bring the CPU multi back up and get those 2 sub-systems stable.

This might sound stupid question but how I can measure the temperature of my NB? I have Everest Ultimate, CoreTemp, CPU-Z and ASUS AI Tools but all of those only measure "Motherboard temperature" which is (if I have understood right) not the NB voltage?

Is there some kind of program or do I have to buy infrared thermalmonitor or something like that?

This might sound stupid question but how I can measure the temperature of my NB? I have Everest Ultimate, CoreTemp, CPU-Z and ASUS AI Tools but all of those only measure "Motherboard temperature" which is (if I have understood right) not the NB voltage?

Is there some kind of program or do I have to buy infrared thermalmonitor or something like that?

some motherboards will have a senor to measure that. you can buy a device that has a thermal probe, number of fan controllers can do this.

In S775, I thought only Nvidia chipsets did that...+1 to fan controller and probe though it only measures the heatsink temp not the core (I did it that way just to see).

If you cannot keep your finger on the NB, its too hot and may need a fan. With my old P5Q Deluxe, I didnt use a fan until 1.4v NB, though I did have a great airflow case (Antec 1200).

Latest updates:
After annoying BSODs and random freezes I have given up.
I set my FSB to 412FSB and searched sweetspot for voltages.
I dunno what it was (RAM, CPU or MOBO) but enough is enough :p
Maybe I sell this CPU away and try to get QX9650.

The QX9650 is based on the older stepping. It runs hotter and requires more vcore than the E0 chips. I'd keep what you have and only swap up to Q9650 if anything.

But it sounds like you are frustrated w/ FSB OCing, and want the unlocked multi of the QX to help you out. I think you'll be disappointed in the overall results if you go that route.

Did you try my advice above? There are also lots of threads both here and on XS dedicated to your particular board. You should do some more searching, and see if you can find some more info to help you get over the hump you seem to be stuck on.

Back