• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Temp problem

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

dumpa

After recently putting my computer together and making sure there is decent air flow in my case I realized that my CPU temp maybe a little bit too high. Without any overclocking my idle temp is at 45C or so, with Prime running it goes up to 82C or so. Thermal compound is Arctic Silver 5 and I applied it 5 days ago I think. Am I wrong in assuming this is a little bit too hot? BTW I have zero experience with Intel CPU overclocking.

Components listed in my sig.

Thanks.

Mods : not sure if this is the correct forum or maybe Cooling would be a better choice?

Have you tried remounting the heatsink? How much thermal paste did you apply? Too much will cause temps to go up.

You have one clean rig sir. Great job!

Have you tried remounting the heatsink? How much thermal paste did you apply? Too much will cause temps to go up.

You have one clean rig sir. Great job!

I spread one line across and used a credit card to smear it across 100% of the surface (very thin layer). Room temp is also not an issue (72F or so). I have not tried reinstalling the heatsink. Maybe that should be my next step. Also next week I'll get Noctua NH-D14 with MX-2 grease and try it out.

Sometimes the mount might not be even or something, so reseating could help. The credit card method should be fine, but you could try a small "blob" of TIM in the middle of the CPU and let the heatsink spread it with the pressure. Sometimes different application methods work better for different heat sinks.

mattno5ss..if that is ur realy name...i agree. the blob has always worked better for me...a thin layer does but nothing like a tiny little blob...and the fact it spikes so much during use makes me think the contact between heatsink and cpu isnt to great

Reseated the heatsink (with the blob method) and temp dropped to 35-39C idle :). Should I wait 5 days before I try to overclock or not?

mattno5ss..if that is ur realy name...i agree. the blob has always worked better for me...a thin layer does but nothing like a tiny little blob...and the fact it spikes so much during use makes me think the contact between heatsink and cpu isnt to great

My name is Matt :D

Reseated the heatsink (with the blob method) and temp dropped to 35-39C idle :). Should I wait 5 days before I try to overclock or not?

What's your load temp at stock with the new mount?

AS5 does have a curing period, but putting heat cycles on it will help it cure faster. Basically, when you're OCing you are putting those heat cycles on it when stress testing. I usually start OCing right away, even with a TIM that needs curing.

My name is Matt :D

What's your load temp at stock with the new mount?

AS5 does have a curing period, but putting heat cycles on it will help it cure faster. Basically, when you're OCing you are putting those heat cycles on it when stress testing. I usually start OCing right away, even with a TIM that needs curing.

Well just did 18 hours of prime95 @4 GHz (1.23V), max temp was 75C, no errors, no issues at all :)

its all good then...thats not to bad temps...defs better than before

Well just did 18 hours of prime95 @4 GHz (1.23V), max temp was 75C, no errors, no issues at all :)

Very nice, low volts... time to take it further :D Does that include turbo? 200x20, 190x21,...???

If you're running 4 ghz at that voltage, it will probably do a bit more fairly easily. I see he's using a 300 clock skew :rolleyes: Clock skews are very CPU specific, you can usually just leave it on auto, unless you are pushing for very high CPU clocks.
Try 200 base clock with 1.275 CPU Vcore and 1.275 QPI/Dram Voltage. I'd also try clock skew on auto. Under a Coolermaster V8, anything less than 1.325V, should keep you in a good temp range (depending on QPI voltage as well)
200 base clock will bring your 1600 mhz Ram up to their rated speed;)

Last edited:
If you're running 4 ghz at that voltage, it will probably do a bit more fairly easily. I see he's using a 300 clock skew :rolleyes: Clock skews are very CPU specific, you can usually just leave it on auto, unless you are pushing for very high CPU clocks.
Try 200 base clock with 1.275 CPU Vcore and 1.275 QPI/Dram Voltage. I'd also try clock skew on auto. Under a Coolermaster V8, anything less than 1.325V, should keep you in a good temp range (depending on QPI voltage as well)
200 base clock will bring your 1600 mhz Ram up to their rated speed;)

Well since I have no idea what is safe to try I decided not to increase the vcore, set skew to auto, 200x21 crashed after 1 min of Mass Effect 2, 200x20 no issues.

Noctua should be here tomorrow. Is it worth the hassle of installing it compared to V8?

Nice rig there mate :thup:

If you're getting it, use it :D The Noctura is a beast and will likely get you a bit cooler :)
I've run up to 1.5V for 24/7 use on air cooling, so you're definitely safe to push it up a bit higher ;)

Nice rig there mate :thup:

If you're getting it, use it :D The Noctura is a beast and will likely get you a bit cooler :)
I've run up to 1.5V for 24/7 use on air cooling, so you're definitely safe to push it up a bit higher ;)

Thanks. :)

I got it up to 4.2 GHz at 1.31 vcore, 200x21, running prime95 for about 2 hours, max temp 75C. I think this should do, don't want to damage my CPU. Noctua is HUGE! Can't believe only 2 screws are holding it. Pic located here

http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/1774/81034556.png

Back