• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Athlon XP-M....correct FSB/Multiplier/Vcore settings???

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyliss69

hey yall

i bought an XP-M for my system a while ago (AXMH2400FQQ4C / AQYHA stepping) - and i just got the rest of the stuff to get it running - but im having some trouble with it tho :temper: - and i think that its because im not setting it right in the BIOS - does anyone know where i can acquire a chart that tells me all the different combos for this CPU? :bang head: im kinda at a loss here - the BIOS is acting screwy :screwy: and all and i think its partly because of this :mad: anything would be helpful - i do know this tho - the Vcores for it are : 2200mhz/2300mhz-1.5v / 2400mhz-1.675v / 2500mhz-1.775v / 2600mhz-1.9v - i just need the rest of the equations - HELP !!
S1051004.jpg

oops...forgot this stuff:
MB: epox 8RDA3+ rev 1.1 - BIOS 7/29/2004
mem: super talent DDR400 1GB
CPU HSF: aerocool HT-101jr w/2 vantec tornado fans (1 in/1 out) (5700 rpm/86.1 CFM)
PSU: 420w turbolink
graphics : ATI all in wonder radeon 9600 256MB AGP
paste: arctic cooling MX-3

i just got the HT and started toying with the CPU - for now i just got the stock fan on it and its sitting at around 32c - i'm doing this open-air with just the video card in - and its hanging in the BIOS sometimes - im not sure if its what im setting it to or..... - clearing CMOS has fixed all so far...... when i first put it in it started at 600mhz....... i tried --> 1.5vcore / 200x12.0 and got 2400mhz but it froze several times in the BIOS - especially when i went to the PC health page - i dunno .....i really dont want to push it much until i get the tornados for it - it not getting hot at all - im just trying to POST it now so i can have a reason to put it back in my case.....i was given the vcore voltages with the CPU when i bought it - but somehow lost the chart that had all the tested settings ...........

Last edited:
Going for a straight balls overclock could be a hair-pulling experience on one of these, it may not overclock the same as a similar stepping from a chart or thread, probably similar, but not necessarily so. Best to start the OCing at stock, gradually increase the chip speed in 50 to 100 MHz increments and try to boot the OS each time, and then increase vcore as needed.

What are the other specs of your system? Motherboard, RAM, CPU heatsink, power supply?

Stock settings on that particular chip is 1.8 GHz @ 1.45vcore, 133x13.5 multi. Start there and get it cranking. :burn: :welcome:

i started there and it wouldnt POST right - it posted at 600mhz!!! :bang head - dammitt what now?

You might want to look around for ClockGen and have a peek at your PCI and AGP speeds. Older boards will sometimes have a way to lock the PCI at 33 MHz or maybe assign a ratio to it. If you don't have something like this in BIOS then you may be limited to a 10-12% FSB increase at best. HDDs in particular don't like running more than about 37 MHz and some can't even take that much speed. AGP is also tied into the FSB and may have BIOS settings to lock it to spec as well ...

You might want to look around for ClockGen and have a peek at your PCI and AGP speeds. Older boards will sometimes have a way to lock the PCI at 33 MHz or maybe assign a ratio to it. If you don't have something like this in BIOS then you may be limited to a 10-12% FSB increase at best. HDDs in particular don't like running more than about 37 MHz and some can't even take that much speed. AGP is also tied into the FSB and may have BIOS settings to lock it to spec as well ...

....well suffice it to say - when i had this running before i had a XP 2800+ in it OC'd out to a 3200+ 200fsb/11x/1.65v and it ran fine - i had a poo-poo dragon orb or something on it and it cooked up my CPU tho - it got hot over time and one day just didnt come on - it was warm rebooting for about a month before hand - i should of knew better but ignored it - never again - the GPU card is a ATI A-I-W radeon 9600 256mb - i do have the nVidia system utility for it when it fires up - i dunno maybe thats whats going on - i think its now the XP-M just wont run in my board - i got another 2800+ for like 10 bucks on ebay and im going to try it out - ill bet the farm it runs right after i get it - i will update ..............

Hmm, your board is a nforce 2 chipset so it can lock the AGP/PCI buses. Try checking your BIOS for the AGP bus speed setting and ensure it is set to 66 MHz, that should lock the buses and let you freely set to the FSB to your choice. That XP-M chip should work just fine in that board, I used to have a 8RDA3+ and my buddy has one running a XP-M 2200+ Tbred.

Try setting your FSB to 200 MHz and your multiplier to 9x, that should give you the stock speed. XP-M chips aren't officially rated to run at 200 on the FSB, but the mobile Bartons like you have can handle it just fine without any bumps in board voltage or vcore, and 200 MHz for the FSB on that board is a walk in the park. The rest of your hardware specs look fine for an Athlon XP-era system. Good luck. :thup:

EDIT: one final thing too, if you have further troubles running the chip at stock, or running your 2800+ at stock, you may want to give your board a quick visual once-over for bulging/bursting caps. The 8RDA3+, in particular the early versions, are from the era of bad caps; my first 8RDA3+ (came with passive cooling on the NB) suffered from blown caps in short order, my replacement was a rev2 with an active cooler on the NB, I sold it to my buddy and it has been solid for him for years with no cap issues...just a thought.

hey yall ....thank you ben along with everyone else here - i have checked the caps already - someone else told me to do that - and theyre all flat - no leaks around the bases - just a little dusty - they look like new caps - and im aware of the bad cap iggy too - while my board is a rev 1.1 - it also has the active cooling on the NB also - i dunno - maybe this is one of the last rev 1.1's made when they started fixing the problem - i do know that ive had this board since 2005 - but shelved for a couple years - so maybe i got lucky ...........

....just where would that be?? (the AGP clock that is..).......on another note ......i finally stumbled upon what the actual problem has been all along .........apparently the HDD i had been using before the CPU decided to sh-izz the bed apparently whilst in hiatus took a poo poo itself .....i was tinkering the other day - and the puter went BOOT DRIVE FAILURE....oops i forgot to ....WTF?? ......well i had another drive i had set to master - forgot i fresh-loaded winXP on it ...........well it fired right up!!! even tho i have to start over ......i had SP2 on the other one ...with SP1 worked around.....maybe im lucky yet again as i read that within 30 days the evil empire is going to stop supporting SP1 .....lucky me.........
.......... right now i got it running at 200 / 12x / 1.6v - now it boots 9/10 - i havent memtest86 / prime 95 / superpi 1m worked it yet .........but i also have not put it back in my case yet either - its running open-air on my dining table - ............and hit me with a green horn if you want ...........but i had no idea the potential of this board before now......... when i got it - it was cause it was an Epox - with dual 10/100's and firewire - when i put the 2800+ in - i set it up 200 /11 /1.65v and just ran with it - i only found out the other day that 'expert' mode lets me pick my fsb from 100 to 250 in 1mhz ticks !! - never knew that.........
..........hey check out this chart - i finally got this from the seller a couple days ago ......when he sold this to me he guaranteed that i could push this to a barton 3800+ - he had pre-benched it ........

http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?htt...md_pinmod.html

....im now wondering .......with having all the super cooling stuf i got - the best you can get ........with the capabilities and headroom of my CPU, as well as my new found BIOS knowledge.......i do know that in the BIOS i can select and see all the clock multi's - but cant get anything to work past 12.5x ........... if i close/open the bridges on this CPU like the article says - or using the pin-mod guide - and following this chart i can get the higher multipliers - seeing as how i can select them in the BIOS - but they dont work for some reason - (why is that?) ......im wondering how far PAST his specs that i can REALLY push this thing ??? anyone have a ballpark clue??

XP-Msetupguide.jpg

Last edited:
....just where would that be?? (the AGP clock that is..).......on another note ......i finally stumbled upon what the actual problem has been all along .........apparently the HDD i had been using before the CPU decided to sh-izz the bed apparently whilst in hiatus took a poo poo itself .....i was tinkering the other day - and the puter went BOOT DRIVE FAILURE....oops i forgot to ....WTF?? ......well i had another drive i had set to master - forgot i fresh-loaded winXP on it ...........well it fired right up!!! even tho i have to start over ......i had SP2 on the other one ...with SP1 worked around.....maybe im lucky yet again as i read that within 30 days the evil empire is going to stop supporting SP1 .....lucky me.........
.......... right now i got it running at 200 / 12x / 1.6v - now it boots 9/10 - i havent memtest86 / prime 95 / superpi 1m worked it yet .........but i also have not put it back in my case yet either - its running open-air on my dining table - ............and hit me with a green horn if you want ...........but i had no idea the potential of this board before now......... when i got it - it was cause it was an Epox - with dual 10/100's and firewire - when i put the 2800+ in - i set it up 200 /11 /1.65v and just ran with it - i only found out the other day that 'expert' mode lets me pick my fsb from 100 to 250 in 1mhz ticks !! - never knew that.........
..........hey check out this chart - i finally got this from the seller a couple days ago ......when he sold this to me he guaranteed that i could push this to a barton 3800+ - he had pre-benched it ........

http://fab51.com/cpu/barton/athlon-e23.html

http://www.ocinside.de/go_e.html?htt...md_pinmod.html

....im now wondering .......with having all the super cooling stuf i got - the best you can get ........with the capabilities and headroom of my CPU, as well as my new found BIOS knowledge.......i do know that in the BIOS i can select and see all the clock multi's - but cant get anything to work past 12.5x ........... if i close/open the bridges on this CPU like the article says - or using the pin-mod guide - and following this chart i can get the higher multipliers - seeing as how i can select them in the BIOS - but they dont work for some reason - (why is that?) ......im wondering how far PAST his specs that i can REALLY push this thing ??? anyone have a ballpark clue??

XP-Msetupguide.jpg

Visit: http://www.classicplatforms.com/forum/

If you want, just ask Mr. Scott what your options are with it.
I've seen you've been there before so just ask away, you'll get whatever help that can be provided.

....just where would that be?? (the AGP clock that is..).......

You can't get any multipliers other then 12.5x to work on the 2800+? That's most likely because that particular chip's multiplier is locked at 12.5x (stock speed for that chip is 166x12.5x multi). Check out this thread for a list of the weeks AMD starting locking the multis on the Athlon XPs and if there is a way to unlock the multi on yours, however my guess is that you're going to be stuck at 12.5x on that 2800+.

You can find the week and stepping info on the white label on the top of the processor. For example, in your picture in the first post of this thread, the stepping of that mobile chip is "AQYHA", the week of manufacture is the 27th week of 2004, and "EPFW" is the batch. I think FSB OCing is going to be the only way to go on that 2800+, but give that thread a read, you may get lucky. All mobile Athlon XPs have unlocked multipliers BTW, regardless of stepping/week/batch.

For the AGP speed setting in your BIOS, I snatched this image from pchardware.ro:

acf.jpg

It's been a long time since I've peeked in the BIOS of the 8RDA3+ but I believe the setting you want is named "AGP Frequency" and it is located under "Advanced Chipset Features". Change it from "Auto" to "66 MHz" and that will lock your bus frequencies.

:thup:

Back