• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Networking issue

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mamazaac

Registered
Have networked my son's netbook to the home pc. His netbook and our router are both wireless, but the home pc is not and is connected to the router via an ethernet cable. From the home pc I can see his computer in the workgroup, but he can only see the home pc in his workgroup if we connect his netbook to another port on the router, also by ethernet cable.

Is this because the home pc is not wireless? And, if so, do I need to buy a network adapter to plug into a usb port on the home pc in order for my son to be able to connect to the home pc without the ethernet cable?

Has been suggested to me that it might be because my security settings on either my router or home PC do not allow wireless devices to connect to other computers on the network, but I don't know how to check this so if anybody can tell me step by step instructions for this I would appreciate it.

Many thanks in advance for any help.

There are two things I would check right off the bat. First, make sure both the netbook and the home pc are in the same workgroup with the exact same spelling. The exact way of doing this is slightly different for each OS; however, you can right-click My Computer and try to find the option for WORKGROUP name.

Secondly, if the computer(s) have Vista or W7, go to the advanced sharing settings and enable "Network Discovery."

This has nothing to do with one computer being wireless and one not. Also, I know of no setting that would disable wireless computers. If they are all in the same workgroup and have file sharing and network discovery on, they can see each other regardless of how they are connected to the network.

Back