• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Extreme Heat! =(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

s4Lty

Registered
I just built my new i7 PC and I'm having heat issues.
These are my specs:
Intel Core i7 930(stock due to heat).
EVGA Micro SLI Mobo.
6GB of OCZ and 6GB of G.Skillz both 1600Mhz RAM.
2 MSI GeForce GTX 260 Twin Frozr.
Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB.
Corsair H50 CPU Cooling.
Antec 650Watt PSU (for now)
Case is a Thermaltake Armor+ MX.
I've got about 5 fans running to keep it as cool as possible.
1 is a 8" fan mounted to the side of the case, 2 5" are in Push/Pull for the Radiator of the H50(air flow going out of case), one 5" is blowing from the front threw the Harddrive bay and the last 5" one is sitting on top of my main GPU(I've tried airflow up, and down both yielding same results).

Now, using stock cooling I was getting 50*c surfing the web and doing light things. Gaming it would hit 70*c.
Using the H50 I got the same results.
I use Real Temps with the alarm turned on and when I'm gaming it goes off all the time, I hit temps of 90*c. My NorthBridge gets so hot I can't even touch it or I risk getting my skin melted.
The case I use has ALLOT of venting, the whole top is grilled to let the heat escape as fast as possible.
My system doesn't crash but I can't run Prime95 24/7 on stock settings since the temps hit 81*c+.
I just don't understand what is going on with the temps.
Any advise would be quite helpful. I do plan on turning my H50 into a better water cooling system with a reservoir but till then I'm stuck with what I got.
I see people who get 55-62*c overclocked to 4Ghz running Prime95 24/7.

Thanks allot for the help.

I would re-mount the H50's CPU block and put a fan on your NB. Also, what TIM are you using (Thermal paste)?

Last edited:
I have a fan blowing on the NB.
the H50 is pluged into the cpupwr plug.
In the bios it show 0rpm though so I'm not sure what that's about.

LOL! Of course I took off the plastic.
Ill try plugging the pump into other plug.
I actually did set fans to manual at 100%.
Ill try the Plug idea and see how that goes.
Thanks

I know were your coming from Headstand, I know someone who left the plastic (that covers the stock TIM) on a heatsink and installed it. Took a while to scrape the plastic off the CPU, lol :)

It did survive tho :)

LOL! of course I took off the plastic.
I just checked the pump was actually plugged into another socket and the CPU_Fan is used by the H50 fan. I feel kinda dumb but I tightened my H50 fan to tight so it wasn't moving.
I'm now using the Dummy OC and my temps are 32-38 with no load. With Prime95 running I get 60-70. But it looks like it wants to keep climbing as the time goes by, but maybe its because im typing this as I'm running Prime95. Could it have been doing the 80+ because I had to high Voltage for the OC at 4Ghz?
The H50 Pumps seems like its working.

I was running it at 4Ghz.
But when I would restart my PC it wouldn't go back into windows since my NB would hit 100*c and needed to cool down. Right now I'm at 3.2Ghz Using Dummy OC.

Well you said you were running stock.

So your running 3.2 with stock voltages? Without the exact numbers for each time you post, you will get different answers.

Even with the best air cooling, You can expect 80-85°C at an ambient temps of 65-70°F.

Numbers vary a lot depending on many variables. Ambient temps, Heat sink, CFM of your Fan, if its running at full speed or not, how flat your heat sink is, how flat your cpu is, how good of air flow in your case, how long your stress test lasts (longer turns the ambient air around your case warmer), whether your GPU or GPUs are being stressed at the same time (warmer intake air), if you have a push/pull fan set up, CFM of your case fans, if they are oriented in the right direction, and so on.

Only you can know if you can improve your own temps. But hitting 80 degrees at an overclock of 4.0GHz with 1.4V Vcore sounds about right with high end air which is where your Corsair falls. A push/pull set up may drop temps a degree or two if thats worth it to you.

I did a test the other night because certain members were concerned with temps. I dropped the temps of my apartment down to 55°F(13°C). My setup is in my sig Venomous X with Push/Pull Panaflo H1L1BX (104 CFM@2600 RPM). I was using 4.0GHz at 1.4V Vcore and 1.39Vtt as a standard. Prime 95 for 15 min. I was able to get my temps down to 75-72-71-72. I regularly run the same set up at about 72°F(23°C) and Prime 15 min. gives me 83-79-78-78. If you look at the numbers, almost a full 10°C(17°F) to get temps to drop 8°C. So Ambient temperatures play a very large role in everyone's overclock temperatures. So it is important to include that in your decision when listening to everyone else's overclock.

Oh and :welcome: to OCF!

Last edited:
Im running 3.2 with the Dummy OC, its a bios option.
I was getting the same temps with Dummy OC as with Stock, but thats cuz my Push/Pull on my rad for the H50 wasn't spinning due to over tightening. Now the temps are decent but I wont be hitting 4Ghz like I had with low temps untill I mod my H50 or get the Thermaltake water system built for this case.
These are the exact settings I used.
http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=20028

Sorry not exact since I got BSOD with those multipliers and frequencies. I had mine set to X19 and 210 I think.

Really? This thermaltake case is pretty badass, lots of cooling potential in it.
What water cooling do you suggest? I want one that fits into my drive bays like the thermaltake Big water I was going to get.

Do not do it! If your want to get water, take some advise from the WC guys. Their first rule is NO THERMALTAKE CASE!

Thermaltake makes good cases. They also make some good high end psu's. But their watercooling kits are utter crap. Believe us when we tell you to stay far away from their watercooling kits, unless you also like shredding dollar bills for giggles too.:eek:

Can you suggest a few good water kits? I don't want to spend over $200 on it since I can make my own for allot less. I'm good at tinkering. This is off topic but, how come when I overclock my GPU with evga precision there is no diference in FPS in my games?

For ready-made kits for i7, there are none that I really like. Swiftech comes the closest with their H20-220-APEX ULTIMA kit, but that kit uses a double fan rad and I think you would see cooling benefits from a triple fan rad instead with that kit. But other than the rad being kind of marginal for an i7 cpu loop IMO, it is a good kit.

Back