• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

alien brain washing??????

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Registered
i have been working in IT (building/fixing mostly) over 6 and have had a customer every 2 days min come to me saying how good there cpu is and it turns out their running an old pentium 4 (im talking 2.4GHz range) and then they wonder why they cant play big 3d games...can someone explain why there is this misconception in the general public?????
when i say claiming they have a good cpu i mean like this "it cant be my cpu causing the lag cos im pretty sure mine is good it must be something else"...normally the rest of their system is not great but the pentium 4 is always the big bottle neck..cpu usage 100%, 100% of the time sort of stuff.

Is the title supposed to be 'Alien' brainwashing? I don't get it..
If people are trying to play new games on an old system, more than likely, they don't have the graphics power to run the game. A Pentium 4 at 2.4 was good like 5 years ago, but now that the new dual/quadcores are out a lot of games are beginning to take advantage of the additional processing power. I bet they are seriously lacking on RAM too. Tell them to look at the recommended system settings for the games they are buying, and if they are around the minimal setting, tell them to expect issues.. until they upgrade.

Is the title supposed to be 'Alien' brainwashing? I don't get it..
If people are trying to play new games on an old system, more than likely, they don't have the graphics power to run the game. A Pentium 4 at 2.4 was good like 5 years ago, but now that the new dual/quadcores are out a lot of games are beginning to take advantage of the additional processing power. I bet they are seriously lacking on RAM too. Tell them to look at the recommended system settings for the games they are buying, and if they are around the minimal setting, tell them to expect issues.. until they upgrade.

mate im no english professor and yes there systems generally su!k but they always no that but claim their processor is the one exeption and im like NOOO u have been mistaken

and alian brainwashing cos i think alians brainwashing them cos how else would so many people make the mistake

Nah this isn't a case of brainwashing. The general public is just very uninformed and very slow to get with the times. That's what happens in a society where natural selection doesn't exist.

Am I the only one that remembers the pentium 4 commersials back in the day? :chair:

It's the same thing as you asking someone what their computer is and they respond "Vista". Most normal people aren't bothered with computers.

hahahaha indeed... i think its a case of people reading pentium and thinking i have heard of that and thinking that means its good, same applies with ram at the moment all companies have this need to put 4GB in their pre-builds...A, cos that a good level but B, cos they now know the general public think 4GB is good and so writing 4GB in bold text helps the sale. i think its just a way of selling cheap hardware...make it out as if thats wat u should have and its good...and as all companies are owned by alians <RIGHT> then its a form of alian brainwashing

A couple of people have hit it on the head.

1st: How often do you see a commercial that specifically says Quad Core? People see the word Pentium and whether its a P4 or an i7 its still a Pentium, so it must be fast.

2nd: For most real world applications a Fast 3.0-3.2 GHz Pentium is more than sufficient, especially when coupled with 2GB of RAM. Sadly most of the old systems do not have 2GB and are more likely 512K systems. I use a netbook for work with 2GB of RAM and it is plenty for Office/Internet.

3rd: You never know how slow something is until you have something to compare it to. My Girlfriend came over with her slow as crap dell laptop and was like, "why is it so slow?". I told her first, get rid of all the spam/malware and viruses. Second stick 2GB of RAM in it. Third, reinstall windows. If its still not fast enough, throw it away and get a real computer.

4th: If someone doesn't game or do number crunching, then anything above a Dual Core will in all likely hood be overkill for them. But thats not to say in 4 years that they won't be using them.

In my experience, 80% of the people I know are still using P3s and P4s. I think that is likely to start changing soon because of the way media is presented to us. I think we are moving into an era where all of or most of our media will be supplied to us online. So a computer will become an integral part of our living rooms, just like the Radio was at one time and TVs are now. Soon the PC will be the center of the living room.

I know people that use a computer with a 3.2 Celeron with 512MB of RAM and are more than happy with it... mainly because they don't know that there's anything faster, and all they do is web browsing. The speed that tech is advancing escapes most people.

To my friends, a High End computer is anything dual core with 4gig of RAM... they're all astounded by my computer lol

1) You don't have to be a genius to use proper spelling and grammar.
2) most people have misconceptions about computers because computer company's push cheap hardware to have a larger profit margin.
3) If you're like me you should enjoy correcting and educating the computer ignorance of most people.

Last edited:
Gautam,
It cracks me up when people correct people and they are wrong. Spelt and spelled are both perfectly acceptable. Google it.

1) You don't have to be a genius to use proper spelling and grammar.
2) most people have misconceptions about computers because computer company's push cheap hardware to have a larger profit margin.
3) If your like me you should enjoy correcting and educating the computer ignorance of most people.

If you're like me... :sn::burn:

I think this thread needs a new title. "Overclockers with strong English skills," perhaps? Maybe, "Overclockers who can't stand grammatical errors?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back