• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Safe values for OC'ed Q6600 with no good cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ragnaroks

Registered
Hello guys, I hope you can answer some of my OC questions.

First of all, my biggest mistake was to buy a premade PC, the brand is HP and it comes with the Q6600 and 8800GT.

The problem is, the only way I can OC this computer is with this program "ClockGen". I notice some performance difference when OC'ing to 2.7ghz (+4fps) and to 3.0ghz (+9fps).

As you see, I want to use the 3.0ghz if it doesn't cause any problem.

My cooler is probably a low end one that came with this PC, when playing heavy games like Dragon Age at 3.0ghz, it used to be about average 72C. Yesterday I cleaned the dust from the cooler and it seems like it stays around 66C. (program "CoreTemp")

My question is, is it safe to let the CPU OC'ed at 3.ghz daily and about 4-6hours on full-load? (not straight, maybe I play 3 times Dragon Age a day and about 1-2hour each time)

At nonfull-load its about 35-45C.

Should I get a new cooler? Is it worth it?

How good is the OC'ing with ClockGen program, I can only manage my FSB with ClockGen and not the PCI. I heard the ratio should be like 1 vs 1, am I currently safe? Since it seems that this HP series can't be OC'ed by the BIOS, its blocked somehow.

Here's my CPUZ stats;
http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1017413

Keep that thing around 72C and it will be fine. I wouldnt worry about a new cooler, no.

Clockgen is the only way you can do it. PCI or PCIe is usually left at 100/33. THe ratio of which you speak is the memory to the FSB.

Thanks for the quick reply EarthDog, since I'm still new to OC are my current setup good? One more question:

FSB is at 333.33 (x9 = 3.0Ghz)
PCIE is at 75
PCI is at 25

Am I looking good? :)

I also heard that the temp from the program "Core Temp" is off by 6C somehow, is this true? Do I have to worry?

PCIe should be at 100Mhz and PCI should be 33. Those are their default values.

I cannot see your screenshot from work (blocked on my end). Coretemp or Realtemp, so long as its the latest version, should be accurate.

There is one other thing tha might also work instead of ClockGen. You could try doing the 1333 fsb mod trick as described in this thread. With that mod done, your mobo should think that your processor runs on a natural 333 fsb speed and should automatically set that on POST. That is assuming that the board does support 333 fsb processors.

Just a thought. ;)

PCIe should be at 100Mhz and PCI should be 33. Those are their default values.

I cannot see your screenshot from work (blocked on my end). Coretemp or Realtemp, so long as its the latest version, should be accurate.

I can't set them to 100/33, if I do the computer get's stuck and it will crash.

I'll copy everything from the picture than.
1017413.png

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600
Windows Vista Home Premium Edition SP2 (Build 6002)
CPU Arch : 1 CPU - 4 Cores - 4 Threads
CPU PSN : Intel Core2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
CPU EXT : MMX, SSE (1, 2, 3, 3S), EM64T, VT-x
CPUID : 6.F.B / Extended : 6.F
CPU Cache : L1 : 4 x 32 / 4 x 32 KB - L2 : 2 x 4096 KB
Core : Kentsfield (65 nm) / Stepping : G0
Freq : 3000.14 MHz (333.35 * 9)
MB Brand : Asus
MB Model : Benicia
NB : Intel P35/G33/G31 rev A2
SB : Intel 82801IR (ICH9R) rev 02
GPU Type : NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
GPU Clocks : Core 600 MHz / RAM 900 MHz
DirectX Version : 11.0
RAM : 3072 MB DDR2 Dual Channel
RAM Speed : 416.7 MHz (4:5) @ 5-5-5-15
Slot 1 : 512MB (5300)
Slot 1 Manufacturer : Hyundai Electronics
Slot 2 : 1024MB (5300)
Slot 2 Manufacturer : Hyundai Electronics
Slot 3 : 512MB (5300)
Slot 3 Manufacturer : Hyundai Electronics
Slot 4 : 1024MB (5300)
Slot 4 Manufacturer : Hyundai Electronics

@muddocktor: I have no clue what you're taking about (still new to world of OC), somehow I can't acces to BIOS and change the VID/OC values etc.

There is a link in his post that explains how to do it. Mudd, I completely forgot about the pad mods! At this point, its your best bet to do that if you cant touch any other voltages or anything in the bios.

With 4 slots populated, that will put more stress on the Northbridge, and may require a bump in its voltage, which you seem to not have access to.

As far as the memory, I see they are different sizes, but under the memory tab, are they the same timings and voltages?

ragnaroks, the padmod tricks the motherboard into thinking the processor came straight from Intel running on a 333 fsb speed instead of the standard 266 fsb speed that a Q6600 normally operates on. And since the mobo thinks it is a native 333 fsb speed processor, it should automatically set the PCI-e and PCI speeds correctly. This is a fairly common trick done to overclock major manufacturer built machines like yours or Dell machines or whoever. Basically you will connect 2 of the pads on the underside of the processor electrically with rear window defogger repair paint to make the mod. The thread I linked has a lot of info on how to do this.

@EarthDog: I don't understand the first two sentence at all, I've never build a PC myself nor took out the CPU.

The values on the memory tab:
35bysfs.jpg

@muddocktor & Earthdog: I mean, I just want my CPU to be safe when I'm OC'ed like this. Doing that padmod trick you said, is it risky and hard to do it? I've never build a PC nor I have ever taken out the CPU.

What very worthy advantage will it give me if I do it? If the difference is small, I prefer not to do it.

Can you run in dual channel with that?

Because I have 2 x 512 MB Corsairs laying around..

Can you run in dual channel with that?

Because I have 2 x 512 MB Corsairs laying around..

I have no idea how to check if I can run in dual channel :(

What's the advantage for running it on dual channel anyway?

Baris, yes, he is running dual channel mode. Even though the 2 sets aren't the same size, they are arranged by channels and each channel is the same size. So it is running in dual channel mode.

@ragnaroks, if you are happy with running ClockGen to get to 3 GHz, then knock yourself out. That slight overclock for sure won't hurt that Q6600, especially since it's still running at stock vcore settings. And the temps you posted in your first post aren't the best, but are nowhere near too high. And the processor does have a built-in throttling feature if the temps do rise too high, to protect it from overheating. So enjoy the free speed you are getting with ClockGen.

@muddocktor; Well I wouldn't mind learn how to even OC my Q6600 above the 3.0ghz without any increase of my current risk nor any investment needs to be done :)

Basicly, if I understand correctly that padmodtrick allows me to change my BIOS? If I even my BIOS I can OC better? Everytime I start my PC, I need to do the ClockGen thingie to OC the CPU. Is there a (big) difference in the OC of ClockGen vs a "Real OC from BIOS" (which I cannot access atm)

My old msi p45 neo f3 had an OC switch to set it on 333 from 266.

On to the topic, STABILITY, why hasn't anyone mentioned it yet?

You need to run some programs to see if your ram and cpu are stable at those increased clocks at standard voltage. Programs for cpu are intelburntest, prime95 and orthos. For mem, I can't remember, I'm sure that one of those have a MORE MEMORY USED test. Also, it would be a good idea to check your temps while testing, I don't know what program you can use for that though, I used asus ai (because it was already on my motherboards dvd), not sure if it will work with your pc, because you.

Back