• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

(Asus P5Q Deluxe P45) 1200 memory only runs at 800!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Bob-da-Builder

Howdy:

I'm not sure if this should be in MB, CPU, or memory. It's a combination problem.

I have an Asus P5Q deluxe, an Intel E8500 Wolfdale proc, and G-Skill Ripjaws DDR2 1200 (PC2 9600) RAM (x 4, total 8 gb). The memory is rated at 1200, but is only running at 800.

I've discussed this with Asus, and it may come as a surprise to many but they were unhelpful. They tried ... but just failed in the end. We tried changing the settings to OC the system so the memory would run at full speed, but any time I changed the settings away from "auto", I'd get an OC failure error and the system wouldn't boot.

In the end, their solution was to go find a new processor with a 1600 FSB. Best as I can tell, there is none available ... at least not from NewEgg, Tiger, or CDW. (Maybe I'm just not seeing them.) It looks like the I series are 1333 FSB, too.

Does anyone have a similar config, or have any suggestions on how to set this to run the memory at 1200?

Thanx.

rkr

:welcome: to OCForums!

How is the RAM set in the BIOS? As a multiplier of FSB or actually setting the RAM speed?

You should be able to just set speed to 1200 or set multiplier to get as close to 1200 as possible. Make sure all the timings and vDIMM are set to spec as well.

Last edited:
I had no issues running the memory at 1200Mhz on that board then again, I only had 2 slots populated so it was a bit easier on the northbridge... You will have to give the NB a kick in voltage to run 4 sticks at 1200Mhz I would imagine.

Personally, I would just overclock it at 1:1 ratio with FSB and tighten the timings down. It seems that its only in benchmarks that its worth to run your memory faster than FSB anyway...

I have a p5q Pro, essentially a step or two lower of the same board. I have no issues at 1200, or even 1224.
333fsb doesn't have a multiplier that will run it at 1200 though, 1100 is the best you're going to get.
If you OC your CPU to 400fsb, or underclock it to 300fsb, you can get 1200.

What CPU do you have? I can probably work up some settings for you that will work.

Howdy:

I'm not sure what the specific setting are right now ... it's been a while since I've looked at them. I have an Intel E8500 Wolfdale proc (3.16 gb.) I'll be able to provide detail in the morning when I can get back on the computer. (My boy and WoW are in control right now!) ;-)

rkr

He has an E8500 so 400FSB will be easy.

I would try Bob's suggestion first, just to try to get the RAM to spec. Then run memtest to make sure they are good at the rated speeds.

One thing you can try is manually setting the FSB to 300, set the NB Strap to AUTO or 200mhz, and the ram frequency should have a 1200 option then.

Your CPU will be 10% underclocked, so this isn't a long term thing, but fine for testing the ram.

Actually the first thing to do is download CPUz and take a screenshot of the memory tab and post it, that will have the timings for various memory speeds so i can give more exact info.

Not sure how to get the picture in there. Pasting it doesn't seem to work, so I've attached it as a gif. Hope it's readable.

Attachments

• cpuz memory.gif
    cpuz memory.gif
    323.7 KB · Views: 694
You should be able to hit 400MHz FSB as mentioned above with stock voltage, and you'll also want to change the FSB:RAM divider to 2:3. That is found under the CPU/RAM strap I believe. That will get your RAM running at 1200MHz.

Back