• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Homeplug Networking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

orionzbelt1

I am thinking of using homeplug but am very new to this networking hardware so i want to know which is the best to buy i want to link my router pc and xbox using the homeplug so i can stream music vids and hd films without the use for long cables and my wireless g router is just not up to the job i could go down the route of having a N+ network but reading into homeplug i think this will be the more stable option.

There are few brands of these out there but dont know which one to choose as some offer 84mbps others 200mbps and belkin have a 1000mbps kit but as i am inexperienced with these i dont know which one to go for

Any ideas experinces with homeplug would be really helpful i have been told a DEVOLO 1437 dLAN Highspeed II HomePlug Network Kit would be good but others offfer higher mbps

Plesae help

HD streaming should run fine over 100mbps. I'd think it'd run as low as 20mbps with no quality loss. Bluray is something like 33mbps at peak bandwidth, so you'll want to aim over that...

Can't give ya much help though, cause i've always chosen just run the cables under my baseboard for a gigabit network lol

The problem with powerline networking is that it is totally dependent on your power lines not having a "dirty" signal.

The washer and dryer running? No network.

Turn on the microwave? Spotty signal etc.

It's an awesome concept but it just isnt working well enough due to typical building power lines having minimal clean power.

The problem with powerline networking is that it is totally dependent on your power lines not having a "dirty" signal.

The washer and dryer running? No network.

Turn on the microwave? Spotty signal etc.

It's an awesome concept but it just isnt working well enough due to typical building power lines having minimal clean power.

my house is probalbly 70 years old so this may be the case with dirty power

Have you considered a separate Wireless Access Point more centrally located in your home, or situated somewhere where there will be less walls between itself the 360? This would only require you to run 1 eth wire from the main router to the AP, although that's pretty much the same as running one wire from the router to the 360.

Have you considered a separate Wireless Access Point more centrally located in your home, or situated somewhere where there will be less walls between itself the 360? This would only require you to run 1 eth wire from the main router to the AP, although that's pretty much the same as running one wire from the router to the 360.

The xbox 360 says it requires a N network to make hd films stream, i am happy to get a N wireless router but a friend recommended homeplug as it is about the same cost outlay.

if i was to go for the N+ router option which would be the best router for the job

G is fast enough for pretty much any HD stream but, the further away and more walls in between the two devices, the worst the signal, and hence, the slower the speed. I think the main reason they recommend N is because it has a longer distance and higher speed compared to G. So for any given distance, N should have the faster speed compared to G.

G MIGHT get 54mbps right next to the router.
N WILL get 54mbps 3 walls, a driveway, and the exterior of a car away. (I know this cause i regularly sit in the driveway in the my car in the summer and run the AC down to 10F lol)

Back