• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Favorite gaming technology

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

What gets you most excited in regards to gaming technologies in 2010

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

MIAHALLEN

I'm curious to know your favorite gaming technologies, please chime in :cool:
Multiple choices are allowed :thup:

Last edited:
Neural control. With continued development, in addition with physics acceleration, avatar movement in games with "fighting moves" could become much more involved. Just need to add Star Trek holograph projectors, and we'll have full-immersion virtual environments.

higher resolution/tesselation etc for me.

all the others are fun gimmiks at the moment. (all have great potential for the future though)

Although my personal greatest isn't mentioned. Sound - great surround sound+music makes a game for me (funnily enough it makes films for me too :) ) [if you couldn't tell from my rig below :) my speakers are more expensive than my PC+TV combined lol]

Guargh this is tricky! Really tricky!

It's between graphics and sound.
I would have said graphics 100% of the time before I got my new sound card and headphones, now I have them games feel a lot more atmospheric.

Metro 2033 is just amazing with high quality sound, really amazing.
Having said that the graphics in M2033 does help towards the whole experience.

Can I vote for 2? :D

Probably going to be graphics for me though but it does need high quality sound to draw me in.

petteyg359 said:
Neural control. With continued development, in addition with physics acceleration, avatar movement in games with "fighting moves" could become much more involved. Just need to add Star Trek holograph projectors, and we'll have full-immersion virtual environments.
That totally got my vote too :D I wish they could figure out how to mimic/simulate G-forces....that would be awesome :rock:

higher resolution/tesselation etc for me.

all the others are fun gimmiks at the moment. (all have great potential for the future though)

Although my personal greatest isn't mentioned. Sound - great surround sound+music makes a game for me (funnily enough it makes films for me too :) ) [if you couldn't tell from my rig below :) my speakers are more expensive than my PC+TV combined lol]

I would agree, sound is very important in gaming...but I didn't include it cause there really isn't anything I'm aware of that is new in that market :shrug:

Artificial Intelligence.

Since I will always be an RPG lover above all, a FPS second and an RTS lover third...this is most important to me.

There's nothing like playing a game through like a novel or just experiencing that virtual world.

Having a party of adventurers that can all battle the forces of evil with you.
Having teammates that can provide cover.
An AI opponent who capitalizes upon the undefended rear of your base.

And none of them will ever yell
"omg that loot should be mine"
"nice aimbot! hacker!"
"wtf...huntresses are OPed! u suck!"

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy competitive play against other human players. But I like to play alone sometimes, enjoy the storyline and characters of a good RPG or just get that ancient feeling of accomplishment when "I beat the computer(s)" at something.

I also enjoy Cooperative Play. Which is made enjoyable, by good AI as well.

wait wait wait

how come completely shackling drm isn't on the list?
I love giving companies money for games they won't let me play.

high resolutions and graphical improvements (i.e. 2560x1600 or tessellation)

In the words of Ronnie Coleman: YEAH BUDDY!!!!!

I recently upgraded from a 19" 1440x900 monitor gaming at directx 9 with sometimes not even the highest settings and changed to 23" 1920x1080 with the highest settings using directx 10 and 11. This really was a HUGE satisfaction for me.

I chose surround gaming and high resolutions. (One in the same imo)

I'm looking forward to a 'full' display in the next 5-7 years. (100 million pixels covering your entire viewing range)

I voted 'other' for physics technology. Once games and their environments become simulations FPS and RPG style games will have a ridiculous immersion factor.

HA! Of course what I picked is what most picked. I really want a dell U2711 monitor but don't have the $$ for it.

I voted 'other' for physics technology. Once games and their environments become simulations FPS and RPG style games will have a ridiculous immersion factor.

Same here. While I do love great graphics, at the level they are right now I see much more enjoyment from more alive (for lack of a better term) environments. when you have tanks and grenades and other giant explosions going off yet that cheap wood shack still stands takes alot away to me.

Also as stevelord mentioned AI is a biggie for me as I'm mostly a single player gamer. Nothing bugs me more than the guys on my side getting in my way and blocking doors or deciding they need to stand right in my line of fire.

I picked surround gaming since the wide angle should go well with racing sims. No need to use a hat/pov to look left, just look. :)

Back