• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

GTX 480 Official Reviews Thread!! Post links here

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OP got sat.. <3 :p

nah man... links speak for themselves... Cool to wait for some other thread, but meanwhile there are links being posted. This is the whole purpose of the thread. I'm clicking refresh every 5 seconds so I might as well post some links and make myself somewhat usefull :bday:

Wondering where all the typical ones are...diaz may be on this one.. I have a buddy coming so may not be able to fire them up quick...

I should certainly hope it beats everything, it only costs more, produces more heat, and had more development time then it's competition :p

Well. First off, Im seeing mixed benchmarks of the 480 vs. 5870. I havent done enough comparing (not enough time currently gotta run), but maybe drivers/cpu (speed as well) has something to do with this. Not sure, but alot of the sites are back and forth (maybe just the typical ATI vs. Nvidia? Although I dont believe that).

The VERY good side to this that Im seeing is the 470 vs. 5850. Im mighty impressed. 5850 being that good deals are being had and its retailing for about $300 (vs. $350 for the 470??) and its beating the 470 in about everything.

Looks like the 480 might be a bit faster than the 5870, but honestly, I dont see it being worth the $500 price tag (if it holds at that price) vs. a 5870 at $400 or less. If Nvidia brings their pricing down a bit, I could see it being worth it for the 480 (although 5850's clock very well and I dont know if the 470 will ever catch the 5850 price to performance).

Oh, and the power consumption, unreal. Looks like many "fanboys" hit the nail on the head here. Even the 470 has pretty high power consumption (over 400 watts!!!, whereas the 5850 is under 300!!). And the temps, my god. You will need $50 + $20 in cooler + fans to cool that beast.

470 for 349 is win win for 24/7 gamer, they can keep that frankenstien 480 tho it needs a shrink and 512.

gtx 470 is sweet perf though if its priced at 349 without so much heat and power usage.

Back