• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XFX 5850 XXX Artifacting, not OC'd.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Infecktious

Hey guys,

I have:

Core i7 920 @ 2.8Ghz
XFX 5850 XXX Edition 755/1125 Factory overclocked.
GSkill 2000Mhz Ram @ 1866 9-9-9-24 (Cant get it to run at 2000 for the life of me)
Windows 7 x64.

Anyway being going all good for about a month, then last night, playing WoW I noticed some artifacting occurring, only slight.

Fired up Bad Company 2, and no ****, 50% of the screen is covered in black flashing square block artifacts.

If I idle at desktop after a game, artifacts remain, but take like 40minutes to all disappear.

If I under clock the card to reference speeds, 725/1000 Mhz, the severity of the artifacting in Bad Company 2 declines, maybe only 15% - 20% of the screen.

I have tried both DVI ports, different PCI-Express slots, pulled the card out and re-installed it. Also tried a different power-cable, no luck. Also tried multiple driver sets, but it was working fine on 10.2/3 for the period it was working.

Posted a support ticket at XFX, but they take days.

Sitting at the desktop at the moment, GPU temps are 45 and VDDC temps are 44 degrees.
(Celcius), using GPU-Z.

After 5 minutes in Furmark, GPU, and VDDC temps are both 85. VDDC current fluxuates from 30a to 50+ amps, but seems to stable out at 50+ amps. Also, after running the test, there is slight artifacting on the desktop.

This is running the card under the factory settings.

I assume you mean something like

Usually that kinda artifacting means your memory clock is much to high. You could try dropping it way down to see if the artifacting stops or not.

Either make sure you have the latest drivers or RMA it would be my suggestion.

Exactly like that, the blocks in BF2 are like 2cm x 2cm blocks lol. But yeh,

I nocked off 300 Mhz off the Core/Mem clock and it stopped. Increasing by 50 to see what speeds it starts at.

Back