• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Best software to record games with minimal FPS loss?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

j0hnsm1th

Ok, so for recording gameplay, I use fraps, because of its FPS monitor and ease of use, but obviously I get low frame rates while recording..

I have heard of AviDemo, but I really don't want to use console commands in games that I don't even know support them... plus all of the hassle in conversion etc..

Are there any other programs I can use? I wont be changing my hardware anytime soon, except maybe another hdd, which may help? if I had the save location of the video files on a separate hdd? if so, how many fps would I gain back with this method?

Thanks in advance guys :)

For source games just use the console.
It's as simple as "Record, stop, convert to AVI"
Not the exact function names but that's all there is to it.

Other than that you can run the output through a digital recorder. That will give you no FPS loss unless it limits the output fps.
^ Is the method I use whenever I go to a LAN and I want to show off to them how I pwned tehr n00bish azzes.

Other than that you can't really beat Fraps for quality.

For source games just use the console.
It's as simple as "Record, stop, convert to AVI"
Not the exact function names but that's all there is to it.

Other than that you can run the output through a digital recorder. That will give you no FPS loss unless it limits the output fps.
^ Is the method I use whenever I go to a LAN and I want to show off to them how I pwned tehr n00bish azzes.

Other than that you can't really beat Fraps for quality.

Yeh but games like GRID and MW2 where there is no console, and The Force Unleashed Etc.. its really bugging me, I want HD content for my channel, but I have to record in 960x540 for minimal fps lag.. I don't mind playing at 30-40 fps if I can get 1080p

Yeh but games like GRID and MW2 where there is no console, and The Force Unleashed Etc.. its really bugging me, I want HD content for my channel, but I have to record in 960x540 for minimal fps lag.. I don't mind playing at 30-40 fps if I can get 1080p

Then your only real option is an external recording device.
I have a Panasonic something or another.

DVI -> HDMI dongle
HDMI -> recorder
recorder -> HDMI
HDMI -> DVI dongle
DVI -> Monitor

It's complicated but I've found it only adds about 5-6ms and the quality is flawless.

Then your only real option is an external recording device.
I have a Panasonic something or another.

DVI -> HDMI dongle
HDMI -> recorder
recorder -> HDMI
HDMI -> DVI dongle
DVI -> Monitor

It's complicated but I've found it only adds about 5-6ms and the quality is flawless.

do you mean like a blu ray recorder? or something along those lines? or maybe I could get a cheap hd recorder on ebay :/

do you mean like a blu ray recorder? or something along those lines? or maybe I could get a cheap hd recorder on ebay :/

Kinda. Basically something that can record straight to the HDD.

Haven't come across a Blu ray one but I think ours was pretty damn expensive (in excess of 160 quid)

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...+recorder&cid=14003919351634908557&sa=title#p

Something like that. Just make sure it has HDMI in and it can record from that input and you should be all set to go.
I run my monitor at 720p while recording since it only outputs at 720p and 1080p but that's not a problem if your running your monitor at 1080p.

Kinda. Basically something that can record straight to the HDD.

Haven't come across a Blu ray one but I think ours was pretty damn expensive (in excess of 160 quid)

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...+recorder&cid=14003919351634908557&sa=title#p

Something like that. Just make sure it has HDMI in and it can record from that input and you should be all set to go.
I run my monitor at 720p while recording since it only outputs at 720p and 1080p but that's not a problem if your running your monitor at 1080p.

could it be something that records to its own HDD? like a pvr?

Back