• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What's a good pair of computer speakers?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth3si

Recently, my faithful pair of SONY SRS-PC50 rear speakers stopped working after 10 years of use.

Now, I was going to get the Logitech S220 2.1 Speaker System because of the Amazon/Newegg reviews and that it meets my needs for the kind of performance I am expecting out of such a sound system. HOWEVER, I discovered through other people's comments online that the speakers are hardwired together by a very short audio cord. This means the speakers are not "extendable." Since I need the speakers to be 7-8 feet apart in my room, I want to be able to conveniently extend their range with the stereo extension cables I already have. I don't want to manually cut the wires because I'm afraid I may cross over the wrong wires in the wrong way and decrease the sound quality.

This means I have to look for another set of speakers that are minimally "decent" (to meet my needs) like the Logitech S220 2.1 but where the speakers are "extendable" if you get my drift. The problem is that I have looked everywhere on the internet and I could not find any 2.0 or 2.1 speaker system setup that allows me to place the speakers 7-8 feet apart due to the fact that they are HARDWIRED!!!! UGGGH!!!!

Can someone please help me find another 2.0 or 2.1 speaker system that is in the same price range? I wouldn't mind paying $10 or $15 more for a better performing set, though.

Would you want to stick with a 2.0 or 2.1 system? I am personally using a logitech 5.1 surround sound system and I feel that it was the best investment I made audio wise. If they were to go out I would probably replace them with the same ones lol. Also they come with the rear speakers on maybe 5-6 foot cords but the way the plugs are on them im sure they will easily plug into a double sided female rca plug

Would you want to stick with a 2.0 or 2.1 system? I am personally using a logitech 5.1 surround sound system and I feel that it was the best investment I made audio wise. If they were to go out I would probably replace them with the same ones lol. Also they come with the rear speakers on maybe 5-6 foot cords but the way the plugs are on them im sure they will easily plug into a double sided female rca plug
I'm not looking for a 5.1. I'm currently looking for a 2.0/2.1 system (which actually is going to augment an already existing 3.1 system. Besides, I don't have enough money for a "decent" 5.1.)

I also have RCA extension cables.

Alrighty will let you know if I spot anything then =) Sure I can scrape up something in a few for yah.

That's ok.

Interestingly enough, I just found the Creative Inspire A200 speakers which fits my situation nicely and after I'd "hotswapped" my old speakers for the new ones I discovered the Sony speakers still actually work because it was faulty cabling that led to me to believe that they had died in the first place.

I know the Inspire A200 isn't a good system but for the sound quality I was expecting given the cheap price, it isn't bad. I am completely satisfied with them, although I wasn't impressed at all.

For $199 on Guitarceneter you could get these.They are biamped!75 watts per speaker.
50 watts to the woofers and 25 watts to the tweeters.Best of all,they require just a usb cable from your pc.Say goodbye to analog connections or the need for a soundcard with good digital to analog converters.
585339.jpg

They are currently on my shopping list for this coming month.

I have logitceh Z4's. They were reasonably priced and have great sound quality.

I purchased the M-Audio studiophile AV 40's and I must say they sound great :). I purchased them after reading countless reviews about how they produced even better sound then the Audioengine A2 speakers. Which I hear produce some great sound as well. But for $132 on sale at amazon.com I had to get the av 40's!

I purchased the M-Audio studiophile AV 40's and I must say they sound great :). I purchased them after reading countless reviews about how they produced even better sound then the Audioengine A2 speakers. Which I hear produce some great sound as well. But for $132 on sale at amazon.com I had to get the av 40's!

+1

I love mine!

Like stated previously, Klipsh Promedia 2.1 speakers are wonderful. Theyre relatively cheap, too. I got them at best buy for $130.

Back