• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What is will the (unannounced) 5890 look like?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

NOVAA

In Ati's upcoming Summer refresh of the 5xxx series, I'm expecting that they'll bring out a 5890 like they did with the 4890 to compete with the 480. What do you think it'll look like? My bets on a 950mhz-1Ghz core clock, 1300(5200 effective)mhz memory, and maybe 2 gigs of memory thrown on so it can be the quintessential eyefinity card. I wonder how this would do against a 480, I need to see someone with a 1Ghz OC'ed 5870 bench against a stock 480 because I'm very curious.

I think they will have to push slightly higher than a 1ghz core to keep the edge over the 480, and what nvidia may come out with down the line (485?)
I think it will look basically identical to the 5870, same as the 4890 looked the same as the 4870

Only time will tell what the card will actually be like but I do think it will be a faster version of the 5870. I also think like the 4890 was to the 4870 it will run cooler as well.

I think the best thing ATI could do to compete with the 480 GTX would be to drop down prices of their current cards and whatever future card comes out to be significantly lower priced than the 480 GTX (for example if they dropped the 5870 to $350 and whatever takes it place to this price they would dominate NVidia). If they could introduce a new card at a lower price point (like they did last year when the 4890 debuted for $250) than there would be a huge gap in the price/ performance of the two cards. I feel that ATI could do this and still be financially feasible for two reasons. The first is they increased the price on the 5850 and 5870 so dropping them down would not hurt them as much as normal. The second is they have been making the cards for seven months. They have probably got production cost down and are getting good yields now. ATI is better situated for a price war than NVidia is; NVidia had to cut down on the number of cores from 512 to 480 in order to get acceptable yields.

Back