• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Intel® Core™ i7 980X processor 6 cores?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sage0030

so new cpu out? I love my cpu, but I see that his one has 6 cores? anyone have any thoughts on this cpu?

i7 980x is 6 core, what you dont need firstly, secondly it costs a fortune, it is the beginning of 6,8,16 core processors, any i7 quad core is more than enough.

i7 980x is 6 core, what you dont need firstly, secondly it costs a fortune, it is the beginning of 6,8,16 core processors, any i7 quad core is more than enough.

But 12 logical cores...!
You don't really need more than dual at the moment, quad max.
It's just ridiculous :p

It all depends on what you plan to run.

I can use all the cores I can get with SMP_FAH DC projects.

Eventually I'd like a dual socket workstation with octacore processors :D

If Spartan '08 could handle more than 8 cores, I'd be looking at switching out our E5420s for a pair of hexacore chips at some point. We already have all 8 cores under full load for weeks at a time :)

so they will eventually come out with lower end cpu that like the 920 that we can oc to a decent clocking speed then? ill just wait for others to come out,

Well I love my technology, but wont be buying one of these at close to £1000, I will wait and see what the price will be of the non-extreme versions of this CPU when it comes out.

Cant expect to get much fun overclocking out of it though, my 920 at 4.3ghz temps get close to the surface of the sun, and now we are talking an extra 2 cores in a die the same size as well as the extra cache, my misses couldnt believe water cooling when I first set it up and gradually I have added more and more radiators to keep things nice and cool, imagine what she will think when I need a mini fridge to cool the damn computer down LOL. :bang head

Welcome to the beginning of the Terminator era.

Lol, no kidding.
Won't be long before we have 8 core CPUs... then 12... then 16... ect ect

We'll be using million core GPUs and thousand core CPUs by the time i die at this rate!!

Cant expect to get much fun overclocking out of it though, my 920 at 4.3ghz temps get close to the surface of the sun, and now we are talking an extra 2 cores in a die the same size as well as the extra cache...
Don't forget the 32nm die size will somewhat mitigate the thermal heat it will produce.

What's with all the hex core hate I'm seeing everywhere? This is a performance computing community last time I checked.

It's not a matter of whether you need so many cores. I may not need more than a handful of cores, but I want as many as I can get for a somewhat reasonable price ;)

Just don't go multi-core happy. A Xeon mobo with 2x 6 cores isn't going to make games run faster than a well overclocked quad core.

Some popular games still don't take advantage of multi cores as it'd require a complete rewrite of the game code to make them use multi cores natively. I seriously doubt Blizzard (for example) is going to recode WOW for this.

Also if you have too many multi core (this includes having 3 or 4 GTX 470/480 for all those CUDA's) and are running program that can use all of em, your hard drive may end up causing serious bottleneck and leave many cores idled. So gotta build a nice big RAID 0 array to try and saturate the new Sata 6Gb bandwidth then maybe you can actually keep all the cores busy. :D

Back