Notices

Overclockers Forums > Hardware > Video Cards > AMD (ATI) GPUs
AMD (ATI) GPUs
Forum Jump

XFX 5870 performance decrease over a week?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe Search this Thread

Old 03-29-10, 12:43 PM Thread Starter   #1
lolwut

XFX 5870 performance decrease over a week?

Got my XFX 5870 bout a week ago, ran amazingly right out of the box at stock clock/mem clock speeds. OC'd it a bit with GPU clock tool, and then played some BF:BC2. After a few overheats and shutdowns i decided to just run at stock clocks. Now I dip down as low as 17 FPS in world of warcraft! I know thats not normal, because my GF plays full settings w/ vsync on at a constant 60fps, and I cant even touch her framerate with my 5870. Help!

Also, I was thinkin bout crossfiring 2 of these cards, but now i need to figure out wtf is goin on with my single

gpu: 2x evga gtx580 hydro copper 2
storage: 2x ocz vertex 120gb raid0
sound: soundblaster x-fi fatal1ty
psu: corsair hx850w
case: corsair 800d
cooling: 2x custom water loops

HEATWARE
lolwut is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-29-10, 02:23 PM   #2
jivetrky

I wonder if it's possible you installed the Folding @Home app? When I did that on my 4890, it never worked right and always killed my gaming performance

I suppose it's also possible that you damaged your card with the overheats and shutdowns.

2x HTPCs / 3x Desktops / 1x 10TB UnRAID Server

[--------------HEATWARE: jivetrky --------------|-------------- GAMING NICK: jivetrky--------------]

"With every upgrade I become less clever." -Socket eh?\(_o)/
jivetrky is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-29-10, 02:37 PM   #3
325cic

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolwut View Post
Got my XFX 5870 bout a week ago, ran amazingly right out of the box at stock clock/mem clock speeds. OC'd it a bit with GPU clock tool, and then played some BF:BC2. After a few overheats and shutdowns i decided to just run at stock clocks. Now I dip down as low as 17 FPS in world of warcraft! I know thats not normal, because my GF plays full settings w/ vsync on at a constant 60fps, and I cant even touch her framerate with my 5870. Help!

Also, I was thinkin bout crossfiring 2 of these cards, but now i need to figure out wtf is goin on with my single
I ran into this problem before with my 5870. it stuck at 400/900 clock/mem clock speeds for some reason. I have to do a clean uninstall driver and update to latest to get back to normal speed. same problem with 10.3 driver early preview. it stuck at 400/1200 when idle (normally 157/400)

try to download MSI burner and monitor the clock/mem see what its state. or you can do a clean uninstall drive and see how it is.

240G X2 RevoDrive SSD & 1.0T Sata6 HD Storage
ATi-5870 CF @900-1225M
Water: GTZ, BXIII, and D5 pump.
Antec 1000W.
Planar "55inches LCD"
325cic is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-29-10, 03:47 PM Thread Starter   #4
lolwut

Quote:
Originally Posted by 325cic View Post
I ran into this problem before with my 5870. it stuck at 400/900 clock/mem clock speeds for some reason. I have to do a clean uninstall driver and update to latest to get back to normal speed. same problem with 10.3 driver early preview. it stuck at 400/1200 when idle (normally 157/400)

try to download MSI burner and monitor the clock/mem see what its state. or you can do a clean uninstall drive and see how it is.
that must be it, i downloaded 10.3 preview drivers and it started then. I dont think I damaged my card at all. I also have folding@home , but not always running

gpu: 2x evga gtx580 hydro copper 2
storage: 2x ocz vertex 120gb raid0
sound: soundblaster x-fi fatal1ty
psu: corsair hx850w
case: corsair 800d
cooling: 2x custom water loops

HEATWARE
lolwut is offline   QUOTE Thanks
Old 03-30-10, 05:25 PM   #5
Niku-Sama

now see i saw improvments, especially in wow, with the 10.3 betas, on my 5770
Niku-Sama is offline   QUOTE Thanks