• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need cooling equipment, advice needed :)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

v0nch

Registered
OK well, I have a ASUS P5Ne-SLI motherboard + Socket 775, will upgrade to Q6600 most likely soon and clock it to around 3ghz.

However, I really need a cooler to keep my CPU cool :)
Does anyone have any advice to which cooler i should get? I'm looking for a decent one - mid range, and not an epic-elite £200 fan which gives u -100 C lol :p
Cuz im gonna be clocking my CPU so i need a decent fan for Q6600.

Also, I will need to keep my whole pc cool and need to get a couple of case fans too, which of them do u advice me which is more efficient + cooler for the price + the mm (80, 120, 200mm). How much watts average I need

thank you all, this would be such a help for me :)

Welcome to OCF. Lucky for you there is the Scythe Mugen 2. It comes with a nice stock fan and will handle a Q6600 nicely. If you dont want led lit fans, some Scythe Slip Stream fans would work great for case fans. Just pick the RPM you are looking for as they have multiple variations. Obviously the lower rpms dont push as much air, but are quieter. I would suggest something in the range of 1200rpm for a 120mm case fan to keep air moving well and the noise down. If noise is not a concern, then feel free to get some TT Thunderblades @ 2000rpm with a whopping 78cfm of air they can push. Just note that i have 2 of them and you can hear them clear across the house.

Since you are talking about cooling your case now to, telling us what case it is and showing a picture could really help. Im sure it would be a good idea for you to go to the cases section and check out the wire managed pic thread, as more than anything upgrading fans will do nothing if there is a rats nest of wires in the way.

Most case fans dont pull many watts, but if you are worried how close you are for a cpu upgrade, then please list your system specs for us. Most of us here have our specs in our sigs so that they are there with every post.

Scythe Mugen has good reviews. Another good budget HSF with excellent results is the Xigmatek S-1283. Comes in at less then 40 dollars. If you look around, there are a few people upgrading to the newer Intel platform and opting for the newer TRUE, Venomous X, Noctua D-14 and the Meghallems Megashadow. They will be dropping their older HSF which are perfect for the Q6600.

:welcome: to OCF!

Seeing that you are talking pounds for money, I am taking a wild guess you are a Brit. :D

I'm not real familiar with UK based stores, but I would recommend this Cogage True Spirit for £32.89 Inc VAT, and you will also have to buy this Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.2 for £5.64 Inc VAT, because the Cogage comes set up for LGA1366 and you have to get the LGA775 mounts for it. BTW, Cocage is made by Thermalright, so that mount will fit with no problems and the Cogage comes with a fan, so you don't have to buy a fan for it either.

The sythe mugen looks pretty nice, but its quite expensive on amazon (£40-£50), ill see if i can get it cheaper cuz its like £36 i saw somewhere else :D
However, the
Xigmatek S-1283,
or
Cogage True Spirit & Thermalright LGA775 Bolt-Thru-Kit Rev.2.

They look quite a good deal for me (price + performance)

I think ill research more about them ones :] and they are around the max budget ill spend for CPU cooler.

Well for the case, I am looking to upgrade the case ASAP (some power fail on my case atm is causing my HDD to crash all time), so getting a new case motivated me to get new gear too. Now i'm looking for a good case which looks gd + keeps pc cool (can get 1200rpm 120mm separate too if it's not going to be in the case).

Any advices on the case? around £50 - £60 case I'm looking for, and going to get 600 Watt PSU separate - OCZ.

TY

Last edited:
Back