• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Slow LAN

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

newtothegrounds

Registered
Hey, guys I was just wondering if any one could help me with my LAN in my house, I find it very slow was wondering if theirs anything I'm missing or anything I can do to speed it up, here is the setup. Computer>router>NAS, computer has 2x1 Gigabit Ethernet ports(evga 790i ultra mobo) which connect to my Belkin N+ Gigabit router which connects to my Dlink DNS-323 Gigabit NAS. When I am transferring a file to my NAS it will transfer between 8MB/s to 17MB/s, when I believe it should be well past 50MB/s both drives in my NAS are Western Digital Green 1 TB Drives 7,200RPM 64MB cache. Any help at ideas of how to get things moving let me know. Also my computer shows that I'm connected at 1Gbps to the router as well and the NAS is set to 1Gbps as well. Also I'm using all CAT6 cabling

I have good and bad things to say about consumer NAS products.

Since you said you have Cat6 cabling and a Gigabit NIC, I am going to say it has to do with settings that you are using.

*First, is the NAS set to the same MTU and connection speed that your router is using?

*Secondly, have you tried DISABLING/ENABLING Jumbo Frames?

*Finally, have you updated the firmware for your NAS?

I know on some 5400rpm drives, there is a jumper switch that has to be removed to get higher speeds. That shouldn't be a problem with your 1TB drives though.

Also, I found this comparison chart of the NAS that you are using....I don't know how common these results are.

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/component/option,com_nas/Itemid,190/chart,13/

All firms are up to date, right now everything's set to 1500MTU across the boars, I've tried both 4000 and 9000 MTU sizes with little to no avail and Jumbo packets enabled. I take it the NAS just doesnt have ballz.

Last edited:
Yes, theoretically the HDD should be the bottleneck. Have you tested transfer speeds between computer1 < router > computer 2?

Back