• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NVIDIA Announces GTX 580

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
tey think april fools
Fermi architecture has its SMs arranged clusters of 32 shaders, making that the smallest unit of granularity. For the particularly slow, 580 does not evenly divide into 32, thus making this card an impossibility.

nvidia is desperate. fermi is a HUGE flop and they know it. It hasn't even hit the market yet and people have cast it off as krap. ATI has their act together and will continue to dominate the market if Nvidia can't create a card that can compete. I told everyone that ATI would one day hit the nail on the head and boom it appears they have. When ATI gets drivers to match (though they have been doing much better) ATI will be unstoppable

nvidia is desperate. fermi is a HUGE flop and they know it. It hasn't even hit the market yet and people have cast it off as krap. ATI has their act together and will continue to dominate the market if Nvidia can't create a card that can compete. I told everyone that ATI would one day hit the nail on the head and boom it appears they have. When ATI gets drivers to match (though they have been doing much better) ATI will be unstoppable

Again, you're assuming that Nvidia's chief market is gaming. That assumption is wrong. Nvidia is gearing themselves towards High Performance Computing, General Purpose Computing, and Hollywood | Expensive special effects.

Simply look at gross margins of a graphics card for a PC vs. a Tesla card for a server, HPC cluster. A 500$ GTX480 vs. a 3000$ Tesla. Which would YOU want to sell more of?

You have to expand your view past just gaming for GPU's these days and look at the bigger picture. And trust me, ATI is way behind in the general purpose GPU computing realm.

+1 to Thermi!

You have to expand your view past just gaming for GPU's these days and look at the bigger picture. And trust me, ATI is way behind in the general purpose GPU computing realm.

ATI has separate gaming (Radeon) and GPGPU (Firestream) product lines. nVidia used to (GeForce and Tesla), but they seem to have lost any boundary between the two, and GPGPU sat on gaming it until it suffocated. I can't find any comparison benchmarks between CUDA/Tesla and Firestream, though. Got any links?

Back