• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Streaming music from PC to iPhone over 3G Network

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JonSimonzi

I've been using Simplify Media to do this for quite some time. For those unfamiliar with SM, here's the description:

Simplify Media works on the Mac and the PC. You’ll need a Jailbroken iPhone, on which you install the Simplify application, and also a companion app for your computer. The next step is to sign up, with a name, email address and password, just like signing up for a Gmail account. Now, all your music on your home computer (in iTunes or Winamp) is available to you wherever you are. As an added bonus, anyone else can share your music over the net (you need to invite them first). Your library shows up just like a regular shared library in iTunes.

Simplify takes a little time to get started, but once it’s up, it fast. And you even get an added artist’s biography and lyrics.

Now, I went to download the PC Software to put on a friends computer, and found a disgruntling blog post stating that they've discontinued support, and only plan to continue the service for a brief period. Now, this is something I use every day while driving in my car, so this will be a hefty blow to me. So does anybody know of a good alternative app that will let me stream music from my computer to my iphone over the 3G network?

I cant even find one for Wifi in my house . Sm was the only option but I never Wanted to pay for a APP

Put up a web site? lol
That's what i do, but i don't have an iPhone, and as far as i know, it can't stream MP3 over HTML can it?

http://www.icecast.org/

Set up your own streaming thing. Of course, since it is just basic streaming, you won't be able to tell it to go on to the next track from your phone, it'll just play continuously however you arranged the playlist on the computer.

/me goes to find iPhone SDK and considers sending commands back to a shoutcast server...

Last edited:
IDK why this is so hard .
I would even be happy Runing a FTP on my Desktop loging into that on the ipod then jsut hitting play or runnign a share and browsing to a share ( but you must use stupid itunes )

having this Ipod has made me HATE ITUNES. It is my Gfs if I ever get a mp3 player it wont be a mac

I cant even find one for Wifi in my house . Sm was the only option but I never Wanted to pay for a APP

I didn't mind paying, because this is an app I use every day. Having my entire music collection with me wherever I go, definitely worth a few dollars.

There has to be another alternative, SM can't be the only program offering this service :)

Edit: The best alternative I've found so far is this program Orb, and OrbLive for the iPhone. Allows you to stream any kind of media to any device that can access the web. Only things I liked about Simplify Media better was their friend function (put in their account name, and access all their shared music on your iphone), and with OrbLive, if you choose to start a 10 song CD at say, track 7, it will set up that play list as 7, 8, 9, 10, 1, 2, 3, etc... and you can't press the back button to skip back from 7 to 6. But, it seems like a nice alternative.

Last edited:
I wouldn't be surprised if that "friend" feature is why they're "re-evaluating" their business model. The MAFIA probably sued them over that.

Back