• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Redhat 7.2 + Athlon + HPT 370 = kernel panic

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

xcr20

Registered
Hi ! I'm trying to find someone who get (or had) the same problem as me. I've read some users having problems with their rh7.2 installation regarding hpt370 raid controller integration.

So here's mine. I had Rh7.1 on my box nearly after hightpoint issued a driver for linux. It ran ok for several months until i installed rh7.2. When I downloaded the new version of the driver for linux, i updated my bios so my raid controller was also up-to-date. From linux installation, i partitionned /dev/sda. It installed, and finally booted. A kernel panic was waiting for me. So i went onto rh's install faq and it seemed to be a problem with the athlon kernel (the one on the highpoint rh7.2 driver disk -) Rh72athl.img ). Tried to append noathlon to lilo but still had kernel panic. It seemed not to find my /dev/sda6 (please give the root= blablabla). Then i tried the other driver diskette (rh72dd-i686.img) but still. I reinstalled 7.1 (with the newer driver this time) to see if it was the hpt370. It ran fine.

When i opened Partition Magic 6, i got errors like others had (like rh7.2 did something wrong on my hd).:eek:

So if you had this problem or have a good idea to suggest, go on !

Thanks !

I used to mess with the Highpoint controller in Linux. I had it working a few times but just like you always had problems after upgrading or even updating your kernel. I have decided for me it was not worth the fuss and just use the standard IDE controller now.

Was it a separate controler board ? I'm curious of what happens on separate controllers and rh 7.2...

Back