• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Memory Suggestions (DDR3 1600 v. 2000)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

JDawggS316

I'm currently in the process of building a high-end gaming PC and have really just started the research process. I am looking for your suggestions on which DDR3 memory to go with.

So far I've purchased the ASUS P6X58D Premium motherboard and will be going with the Intel Core i7 920 (overclocking).

Now this board allows 2000 MHz when overclocked, but is it that much more of a performance gain over 1600 MHz?

So between the two there isn't any noticeable performance gain?

In benchmarks yes, but real world, it doesnt seem so. You would think if the benches show improvement that it would directly translate but not in this case.

If you get a low latency 2000MHz set then technically yes it will be faster. I found one set of 4GB DIMMs on newegg that was 6-9-6-24 latency for $200. Compared with $170 for 4GB 6-9-6-24 1600MHz.

While I agree with everyone above you most likely won't feel the difference, but it would be faster. Aside from benchmarking if you do anything like Folding@home or SETI@Home (BOINC) then you will see a difference in points which for a $30 difference may make it all worth while to you.

Also if I am not mistaken (more of an AMD guy so sorry if I missed something) 2000MHz isn't fully supported by any CPU with an IMC. So no matter what the board says it supports you will still need to overclock just to reach those speeds. You may be better off just getting the slower RAM and pushing it beyond its rating if cost is an issue.

If you go w/ the DDR3-2000, be prepared to push the QPI/DRAM Core Voltage upwards of 1.5 - 1.55V in order to run at that frequency. Try XMP Profile #1 which sets the BCLK to 143MHz w/ a multiplier of 19x, and DRAM frequency to 2006MHz. With XMP still enabled bump the BCLK to 195MHz = 1954MHz DRAM frequency, and the multiplier to 20x = 3.90GHz clock.

Most of the 2000MHz stuff is probably low latency 1600MHz memory with looser timings. So buy yourself some DDR3-1600 with 7-7-7-20 timings and you'll likely end up with RAM that also does 2000MHz with 8-8-8-20 or 9-9-9-20.. But I'm completely satisfied with the Corsair stuff I purchased last Fall and don't plan on buying memory again until DDR4 comes out (someday).

So let's say I purchase some 6GB 1600MHz memory and overclock the 920 to, I don't know, let's say 3.6GHz, will the RAM automatically be overclocked above the 1600MHz as well?

Thank You God for these forums :thup:

i7 920 running 20x multiplier with 200blck (4GHz) would be the equivalent of a 1:1 ratio (except it's a 2:8 ratio). Hence why most don't bother with higher than DDR3-1600 memory.
I'm running a 21x multi and 200blck for 4.2GHz. Many motherboards won't do any more than about 220blck and most start to have issues above 210blck).
3.6GHz would be underclocking the RAM since that would be ~20x multi with 180blck (cakewalk for an i7 920 D0) - unless you tweaked the RAM ratio in the bios to make up the difference.

This is the memory in my rig right now - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820145242
I've been very happy with it. I paid significantly less, but also bought it last Fall just prior to the huge price increases across all types of RAM. I think I paid $100 less.

Last edited:
Okay, I know for sure I'll be going 1600MHz instead now thanks to all of you :clap:

I'll be needing some questions answered as to what are some good overclock settings for my new 920.

I'll be water cooling it of course, but, since I am new to overclocking, I don't want to push it to the point of possible-instability. I see a lot of people have left their 920's @ 3.6GHz.

What would you recommend for a good setting to reach such speed?

Every chip is different... I would suggest you take a look at the i7 overclocking guide (linked in my signature) as that is about as spoon fed as you are going to get!

I don't regret the 1600Mhz memory I got when I purchased my i7. Sure I probably could of went with 1333Mhz ram and it would of been more then fine for what I run my system for.

If that were true, then why would the latencies be so high (7,8,9 is common), while in DDR2 its 4,5,6.

It isnt actually the DDR3 thats more reliant on latency, its b/c of the CPU's it is paired with. If there is an onbaord memory controller like in AMD chips and more recent Intel chips, the lower the latency, generally the better. But this can be said for DDR2 as well so its not DDR type dependent as you mentioned.

Back