• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New silver water block...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
I would just stick with the good old Maze 2. So far I have not seen any reviews of silver blocks that make me want to rush out and try 1. I don't think they are worth the added $ that they bring.

Did you look at it? I have tried the maze2 it's sitting next to it. The actuall cost will be minimal. Don't quote me but probably the same cost as the maze if I was to make them. That is not the issue however as I'm just asking what people think. For now it's just for me to play with rather than trying to market it. I havn't even tested it for temps yet. As I don't really have a cpu to put under it for a few days.

Oh and the silver only adds maybe 2 or 3 dollars to the block.

Thats not bad if the price difference between the silver block and a Maze 2 is minimal. I would be interested in seeing a comparison between the 2 blocks and I am sure many others would be to. Have you considered entering it in the water block challange? take a look a few posts up at the sticky!

Well no. If your refering the the one being done by joe at procooling I've already asked to include my alpha block but in testing I find that it cools about 1c worse than a maze. This is still pretty good but it's expensive to cut up an alpha pal8045 just to make a water block out of it. It's also way more expensive than the maze to build. Just the alpha is expensive.

If I find in my own testing here that the silver one performs well compared to my maze2 I my send it to joe.

Now if that sucker was machined out of a solid piece of silver... you would have a lot of tongues hanging out around here, as well as open wallets!

well ill just build or buy more arms and legs later!
honestly tho i know i woulda plopped down a extra $30 or so for a "all silver" block . just spent $46 for my Z4 and i was smiling when i sent my check out . so you tell me if i care about cost?

some people do and some will pay a extra amount of money if they can squeeze lower temps. honestly ive seen people here hacking new stuff up all the time just in hopes of better performance. thats the big gamble . at least with a known product thats proven to work . id much rather spend on a guarentee then on a expensive gamble.

but its all fun wether its cheap or expensive . its for the rush!

Well... to be honest... I'm currently building the aluminum/silver block... cost is a LOT less than you'd think... but we'll keep that part under wraps ;) Shouldn't be anyless effective than using copper for the the block itself... water chambers are open to the silver so the water makes contact with it... The fact that it's aluminum and not copper shouldn't have any impact on temps.;)

wow hhmmm well $150 IS alot. has anyone ever even built a solid silver block? and just how much better is it?

but im sure someone out there with a window and lighting and all that jazz may want a $150 block
as for me id stop at around $100,if its better of course.

and you guys talkin about the alum/silver vs copper/silver. for the cost shouldnt be much of a factor. copper is somewhat cheap.
and id put my money on copper/silver, but in actuallity it all comes down to design. and same for a all silver one.

but ill be here watching you guys couse im very interested in the results.

Hmm I note it says "silver plated for extra cooling" a plating does nothing for cooling at all. A layer that thin does pretty much nothing at all for anything except looks.

What if you make a 'thick bottom' copper block and then mill out a nice area and fill it with molten silver? That way you could get a silver base? I suppose you could even make a shallow 'hole' for the silver pour it in and then once it is cool remove the back copper from the hole so you'd have silver and water contact. Or maybe make a hole in the copper plate and then sweat in lapped silver coin? I really want to get some silver coins and melt them down but right now I don't have a crucible to melt it in.

O

Owenator said:
What if you make a 'thick bottom' copper block and then mill out a nice area and fill it with molten silver? That way you could get a silver base? I suppose you could even make a shallow 'hole' for the silver pour it in and then once it is cool remove the back copper from the hole so you'd have silver and water contact. Or maybe make a hole in the copper plate and then sweat in lapped silver coin? I really want to get some silver coins and melt them down but right now I don't have a crucible to melt it in.

O

With my block... I've cross drilled chambers and then use a grinder and my cousins dremel to open the chambers on the side of the aluminum block that the cpu die will be on... then I'm affixing a 3mm silver base to it... so the water has direct contact with the silver... can't find copper around here... but the aluminum is REAL cheap... and this whole process is being documented as it should be easy enough to do for anyone with a drill. I have a drill press but have for the purposes of this experiment stayed away from it.;) I'm going to attach the block as soon as this post is submitted... wish me luck :D

Back