• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New video card advice

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

disk11

This will be for my i7 rig. I'm still working on an OC, it is at 190*20 for now, and I play with a 20" 1680x1050 monitor

I am looking for two suggestions, as my budget is a bit up in the air right now. What I can tell you is I play Left 4 Dead 1 and 2 and Company of Heroes mainly right now, and sometimes Team Fortress 2 or random games from my back catalog. I want to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 and Far Cry 2, and the only planned purchases for future games are Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3. I would also like this card to last me two years or so.

Ideally, I will find a job soon and will save up for something really nice like a 5850 or 5870 (or would these be overkill for my resolution?).

If I can't find a job, I will be limited to the various things I have lying around to sell, so it would be nice to have a minimum target to shoot for, for example would a ATI 4890 or a GTX 260 be good options?

Look for a used 4890 for ~$140 or a used 4870 for ~$110, the 4870 is on par with (or beats) the 5770 in most tests, and the 4890 beats it.

Back