• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Next game L4D2 or Borderlands?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Trying to decide what to get next. Thoughts?

Though I havn't played l4d2 yet (aside from the demo) I'd vote for it over borderlands. Borderlands was fun for about a week (time it took me to complete it with a buddy in coop) but I really didn't see any need to play through it again the second time, the replayability was lacking in my view.

I've gotten much more mileage out of l4d1 and I wish I would have put the money down on it over borderlands.

I disliked L4D1 I have only played it 5 times total ..

Would much rather get Bad Company 2

I *still* haven't finished borderlands yet. And there are already half a dozen extra dlc chapters to it.

Plus I don't consider L4D2 to be an actual "game" (neither was part 1).

The PC version of Borderlands is hard to reccommend because of the whole "gamespy" thing... but it's the version I've got and I'd rather have a full-on, first person, RPG, shooting adventure than the source engine 99999999.0

Well if price is a deciding factor L4D2 is now 29.99 on steam, heck borderlands was 25$ on steam over last weekend i thought about it then decided that i would hold out for a edition with all of the DLC (preferably without drm)

+1 on the BFBC2 thought though. also currently enjoying just cause 2 also.

I had borderlands for 360 which same thing as pc. It was a good game but man way to easy and lacked content imo.

I was thinking it was going to be a "diablo shooter" where i'd keep going on runs against a boss and stuff to get different drops etc.

It was a good try but in the end i felt failed me big time. I think they tried to appeal to the noobs to much with that game.

As for l4d2 awesome game love it. But lately i've been addicted to bad company 2 lol. Usually i don't like war games but man that game is addictive. Im sure ill find my way back to l4d2 sometime. but for now that game has me addicted. Reason why is the group i usually game with well we're all busy and pubbing on l4d eh terrible not because of lack of skill or whatever because people are insanely rude on that game it became css all over again. So i refuse to pub unless my team is people i know. Preferably the whole lobby lol.

L4D1 is MUCH better than L4D2 IMO.
The characters are much better and the excessive gore in the second one is quite horrible :p

Still I'd choose L4D2 over borderlands any day.

I didn't find either game really all that impressive or compelling. Borderlands will last you longer. L4D2 would've been better a few months ago when the servers were full of people going multiplayer.

Borderlands doesn't have the brightest A.I., and the missions sometimes are dumb. The guns are the best part of the game, it's pretty much run and gun with ur buddies.

L4D2 is like L4D1 where there isn't too much variety, but playing multiplayer versus offers a bit of extra flair. I would give L4D2 the slight edge when it comes to level design, although borderlands has environments that are less flat. L4D2 just has cooler environments.

The downfall of both these kinds of games is the repetitiveness of the action from level to level. The great part about these games is that you can enjoy them with a few friends and laugh together when things awry. Get whatever game your friends are playing!

Hmm dunno maybe I'll go with BF 1943. I've got BC2 already. It's gotten to the point where I've unlocked everything I'm level 30 and it's the same thing over and over. Everyones either sniping or using the M60 (me included). A good word for BC2 now is over-repetitive. Maybe I'll go with that Metro game, doesn't sound like L4D2 or Boderlands are worth the $$.

Metro is really a graphics game, the gameplay isn't so hot. Don't get me wrong I like Borderlands and L4D2, I've played hours of both. They just get a little stale after playing them for too long. Definitely worth the playthrough, especially when u can get them for discount prices.

Bad Company 2 needs to get a map pack out, after that I'm sure you'll be back at it again.

Don't get me wrong I like Borderlands and L4D2, I've played hours of both. They just get a little stale after playing them for too long. Definitely worth the playthrough, especially when u can get them for discount prices.

I agree, and though I'm basing my judgment of l4d2 on 1 I've gotta say any of these games are a million times better with friends. They're kinda taking the PC version of the spot mario party/kart or even rockband/guitar hero occupy on the consoles.

Playing by your self like so is just so very anti climatic :rain:

Metro is very much a graphics game (it's destroying my GPU :( Might have to RMA it) so expect a VERY linear game with a nice story line but nothing you do will change that story. It's quite nice being told what to do for once though, games like Fallout 3 are great but there are often decisions I just can't make! (I get into my games WAY to much :D)

I do think L4D2 is a good purchase but only if you have mates who will play it with you. If you don't then I think you'd be wise just to hang onto your money or spend it with mates or something.

Borderlands, and here is a very informative reason why :)

Left 4 Dead 2 was nothing but a disappointment to me. I was a die-hard Left 4 Dead 1 player and consider it a much more pure experience. I like the new content and campaigns, but I feel the multiplayer is broken. People rage quit constantly. It’s rare to play a full game versus the same group of people. If you are playing team versus team, you will probably have more luck, but I find it rare to get you and three of your friends to sit down for a few hours and play.

I like that they implemented new playable infected characters, but it is so convoluted now I find it so hard to get a rhythm going. The biggest sign of my unwillingness to play L4D2 is that they are still being run on atrocious 33tic servers. Nothing registers when I want it. I am sick of how many times I "pounce" people and just slide off them or just hit them and not engage. This is absolutely unforgivable. L4D2 is a very fun multiplayer game if you can get past its extremely inherent flaws.

I very very much enjoyed Borderlands. It took be back to my days of Diablo II with a phenomenal loot system and a very well rounded class of characters that you can easily solo your way around if need be. Borderlands will give you more bang for your buck if you play all the classes through and learn them. The story is above average for a shooter type. The campaign spans a lot of areas and many memorable characters. The boss fights are great and challenging, but not a huge pain if you are smart or if you have a party.

I guess it boils down to this;

Borderlands – smooth, polished, fun game with not much of a replay factor if you don’t want to play the other classes.
L4D2 – very fun game and hours of fun with multiplayer if you can get over its over convoluted monster system, people always rage quitting and unforgivably poor net code.

Left 4 Dead 2 was nothing but a disappointment to me. I was a die-hard Left 4 Dead 1 player and consider it a much more pure experience. I like the new content and campaigns, but I feel the multiplayer is broken. People rage quit constantly. It’s rare to play a full game versus the same group of people. If you are playing team versus team, you will probably have more luck, but I find it rare to get you and three of your friends to sit down for a few hours and play.

I like that they implemented new playable infected characters, but it is so convoluted now I find it so hard to get a rhythm going. The biggest sign of my unwillingness to play L4D2 is that they are still being run on atrocious 33tic servers. Nothing registers when I want it. I am sick of how many times I "pounce" people and just slide off them or just hit them and not engage. This is absolutely unforgivable. L4D2 is a very fun multiplayer game if you can get past its extremely inherent flaws.

L4D2 – very fun game and hours of fun with multiplayer if you can get over its over convoluted monster system, people always rage quitting and unforgivably poor net code.

You've just had a bad experience with L4D2 :p
Have you ever played it at a LAN? No lag issues and in general people won't rage quit (I mean a small LAN with <10 people, not an I series style LAN)

You've just had a bad experience with L4D2 :p
Have you ever played it at a LAN? No lag issues and in general people won't rage quit (I mean a small LAN with <10 people, not an I series style LAN)

I'm not going to waste the time and money to play L4D2 on a LAN. 99.9% of internet gaming is going to be online. Why should I change my judgement of poor, lazy coding for 0.1% of the time I play a game. :confused:

That's like saying jumping out of a plane is awesome when you are sky diving. Is it still awesome in the case you don't have parachute?

Last edited:
I'm not going to waste the time and money to play L4D2 on a LAN. 99.9% of internet gaming is going to be online. Why should I change my judgement of poor, lazy coding for 0.1% of the time I play a game. :confused:

That's like saying jumping out of a plane is awesome when you are sky diving. Is is still awesome in the case you don't have parachute?

It seems fine for me :( Never had a problem with it even when I was online.
I do about 50% of my multi-player gaming at LANs and outside of that I only really play COD4 and TF2.

The sky diving analogy is terrible... All I have to say :p

Back